Tractor wheel suggestions

KLBCOS

Chirping
Jan 29, 2015
Colorado Springs, CO (Falcon Area)
I want to build a daytime run as an alternative to free ranging in an unfriendly environment like this...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-build-a-4-x-4-x-8-brood-pen

I plan to build it with materials to make it lighter. I don't plan to move it with chickens inside as they will be returned to their coop at night. I would like it to be flat on the ground when not being moved. What type of wheel configurations would work well to be able to move it around a rather large property?

Any help will be appreciated.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! As I was trying to form an answer to your question in the way that I would do this, I stopped and typed chicken tractor into a Google Search, chose Images from the menu near the top of the page, and there are tons of photos and tips and suggestions. More so that I could do justice to, so despite me hating the answer, "just google it." Perhaps in this case that maybe your best source of information, that would relate to your skill set and personal preferences. Lots of ways to skin this cat…

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

I have googled it. There are lots of pictures. But I haven't found good directions on how to put them together. This is something I have never done. I am good at building stuff if I have directions but most of them links show the wheels and there are actual how tos. I thought maybe someone would have a more definitive how to. Maybe I should have been more specific in my initial post,

this is 4Mx2Mx2M
I just juggled around with the pivot point for the levers to
A, be easy to raise by my children.
B, get sufficient ground clearance.

The pivot point is at the centre of gravity of the tractor.
I do need to fit bigger wheels as my field has some nasty bumps in it.

Sorry no not really, the wheels came off the front of an old ride on mower/
I just cut the box axle in half retain each stub axle and some suitable fixing metal and bolted each one to a length of 2x4 timber
I then pivoted that approximately where the Centre of gravity is on my tractor
I then extended the 2x4 with some 'handles' to give the required leverage.
It is really a case of trial and error.

Having bits laying around rather over complicated things as the ride on wheels are too small.
A couple of wheel barrow sized wheels with bolts for axles bolted directly through the wood, perhaps with some steel either side for reinforcement would have been simpler.

Also do you definitely need wheels?
have you considered a sledge?
looking at what you plan to copy that is going to be quite light weight and wheels may not be necessary
other than perhaps at the end and move it like a wheel barrow

I used pressure treated timber to create a sledge I can drag this shed around my field easily, grass is quite slippery.

In the UK it is quite common to mount larger shelters even stables on wood or metal sledges as it is then deemed a portable building and you don't get grief from bean counters insisting on you having planning permission for a permanent structure!

I have just converted a Caravan into a Tractor
same principle as this for the floor but not quite as elaborate
http://chickencaravan.com/

Last edited:
The sledge would be tricky because the pasture is about 2 acres and not real even. Need to be able to get it over uneven ground. I am trying to keep it lightweight but predator proof. The daytime challenge is large red tail Hawks that are amazingly fast. I appreciate your pictures and input. I think I'm just going to have to study and wing it.

Back
Top Bottom