Tractors and predators

stayc615

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2017
How safe are tractors? What can you do to protect chicks from mink, weasel, etc? I'm very new to this so I want to get as much info before getting chicks.

depends on the tractor and the predators you have,

chicken wire is awful it just keeps chickens in.

for predators it depends what you have, weasel, mink, coons etc.. you can use hard ware cloth. but if you have bigger animals such as bears, hogs etc.. you will need a electrical fence.

If tractors don't have a wire floor, predators can dig under them . Bigger predators can just turn small tractors over and reap a meal.

If tractors don't have a wire floor, predators can dig under them . Bigger predators can just turn small tractors over and reap a meal.
Well that's upsetting. I've never seen any big predators like bears or mountain lions but we have the smaller ones, coons, fox, coyote. But mama fox and her kits have made a home for themselves under our shed, again. What kind of wire do you suggest for a floor?

Well that's upsetting. I've never seen any big predators like bears or mountain lions but we have the smaller ones, coons, fox, coyote. But mama fox and her kits have made a home for themselves under our shed, again. What kind of wire do you suggest for a floor?

The ones I have seen with wire on the bottom use the wire fencing with 2" x 4" openings so the chickens can still scratch around. I converted a small prefabricated coop/run to a tractor. I have nothing on the bottom, but the coop is separate and raised, and I shut them in there at night.

Back
Top Bottom