Tractors Started Today...

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
So weather was good and I have 25 new egg layers coming and 80 meat birds. Then after that I have 40 Naked Necked Chickens coming to try for meat birds and then 8 Turkeys.

So one tractor will be a full time home for my layers with a door that will open and they can free range inside an eletric fence in my yard. The other will be for all the others that will rotate out this summer.

These are 8 x 12 x 4. 1/2 will be enclosed in sheet metal and where the plywood is, I will create a hinged top and plan on running 4" pvc across the bottoms for the feeders. So that I can just lift and pour. This is the section that will be sheet metal all the way down. The same end with the sheet metal will have the nest boxes on the outside. And I should say it will be 1 large box only. The rest will be wrapped in hardware cloth. Thinking about putting something on to add wheels to move them as well. And then there will be a swinging door in one of these openings with the hardware cloth so that I can get in there at processing time.

You can see them here:
http://gallery.me.com/anthonyjames420/100321

Last edited:
Very Nice!
thumbsup.gif

Jaku,

I still have the pull string to add and they weigh about 160lbs. They are not terribly heavy. But I am thinking I will be putting wheels on one side. Basically what you see is it minus the sheet metal sides which aren't that heavy. So other than the one that will have the nest box and maybe a couple of 1 x 1's for a roost or two they are pretty much finished.

The nice thing about these is they are held together by about 60 screws. So if worse comes to worse it will be easy to disassemble and make shorter.

I will post more photos as I go. Hope the warm weather sticks around to get it painted on the inside to cover the wood. After that I found a guy that has 14 sheets of white sheet metal roofing that is 3 x 14 for a total of $50. So I have to dig it out from under his snow in his backyard so I can finish the sides.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom