1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trada and the probably not Black Orpintons

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by trada, Mar 6, 2014.

1. trada

trada New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Wildwood, FL
    Hi! Thanks for allowing me to join your chicken world. I used to run a horse farm in SC and had hired hens - guineas - to work in my fields. You would have never convinced me pre-guinea that I would be a bird woman, but the person who said it was an addiction was right.

I did all kinds of research on what type of chick I wanted and then bought "Black Orpintons" during Chick Week at Rural King. They are now about 3 weeks old, appear healthy and happy - but are feathering out with white tips. They probably aren't black orps, are they? So now, not only am I looking forward to picking your brains about care, but have to figure out what breed they might be so I can meet their needs.

If I attach a photo, can someone tell me what they might be??

Trada in Wildwood, Fl
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Do you know what hatchery the store got their chicks from? It's a common color, Black Australorps are a lot more common in stores than Black Orpingtons, Feathersite has pictures of both as chicks if you want to check out their pictures http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Orps/BRKOrps.html

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Looks like Black Australorps. You will love this breed. They are a very enjoyable bird to keep.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. trada

trada New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Wildwood, FL
    Thanks for the tip - I will head back over there this week and ask. They did have separate brooders for australorps and barred rocks, also. It doesn't really matter what I've got, since I just love them - but I would like to know. I will go explore the site you suggested and see what I can find. They are sort of in an ugly stage right now... lol... half fuzz and half feather.... and faces only a mother could love!

5. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG] enjoy those cuties!

1 person likes this.
  8. Jeanna Marie

Jeanna Marie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Brooksville, Alabama
    Welcome!

1 person likes this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. If I were a betting man, I would wager that your chicks are Black Australorps.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by