Traditional Serama

Standard

draft proposal}

TRADITIONAL SERAMA
STANDARD OF PERFECTION

ORIGIN: Malaysia

The Malaysian serama first arrived in North America, September 2001. It's ancestry, although not fully documented is believed to date as far back as the 1600's and is associated with the Thai King, Sri Ama. The modern day Serama was created by Wee Yean Een, beginning in the 1970's by using Ayam Kapans which gave them their very light weight. He then introduced other bantam breed genes into the mix, eventually arriving at our present day birds.

WEIGHTS BY CLASS FOR MATURE ADULTS

MALE ------------------------------------- FEMALE

Class A – up to 300 grams--------up to 275 grams
Class B – up to 400 grams--------up to 375 grams
Class C – up to 500 grams--------up to 475 grams

Cockerels and pullets (birds under a year old), same as the Class 'B' Weights

Size is not everything. First and foremost a Serama must have good type. This means a proud pouty chest, a high tail, a very short back and a 'V' shaped profile and wings that point near vertical downwards when alert to attention. Without type you just have a small bantam and not a serama.

It is worth noting that the smallest birds are very unreliable as breeding birds. Hens under 250 grams often do not produce viable eggs and cock birds likewise are not as reliable, fertility wise ,when under 300 grams. Class B birds often make the best breeding birds, producing A, B and the odd C. Having said all this, the Class A birds are what we all tend to prefer! They are a very tiny breed and have a real 'wow' factor in the smaller sizes.

TRADITIONAL SERAMA

General Characteristics: MALE

CARRIAGE & TEMPERAMENT : Assertive with a confident bold stance, yet certain and managable. Should be easily handled and show no aggression. The bird should pose readily and when viewed from the side should create a vase like or wide “V” shape.

TYPE: Body well muscled with breast carried high, full and well forward. From above the shape is somewhat elliptical, tapering towards the tail. The back should be very short and covered by abundant hackle covering both the shoulders and secondaries and flowing into the tail coverts giving the base of tail a full appearance. Tail should be carried high and upright at a 90-degree angle, parallel to the neck and should be large and full, Main tail feathers should be long and broad and should over lap. The tail should open and when viewed from behind should be open to an angle of 45 degrees creating an open “A” shape. Sickles are slightly curved and protrude beyond the main tail. Side hangers and tail coverts should be broad, plentyful and well curved.

WINGS: Fairly large in proportion to the body they should be held in a verticle position, just covering the floor and leaving the feet partially visable. Shoulders should be set high on the bird, Primaries are long, of medium width, with secondaries moderately long and broad.

HEAD: Head to be small and carried well back. The single comb is small to medium in size with five serrations preferred though more are allowed, It should be straight, smooth, free of folds or any deformities and tending towards flyaway type. Wattles are to complement the comb, smaller being preferred and free from folds and wrinkles.

LEGS AND FEET: The legs are of medium length, straight and set wide apart to allow for a full and muscular body. They should be strong and stable. Thighs should be medium length and well muscled with shanks of good thickness.

PLUMAGE: All feathers should be in good condition with a lustrous sheen, body feathers to be full and profuse,

COLOR: Male and Female: the principal colors seen are, white, black (with blue or green sheen), buff, red, partridge, wheaten, blue, chocolate, mottled, barred/cuckoo, spangled and duckwing, but none to be penalised. Comb, face and wattles, bright red, though darker is acceptable in the darker colors. Eyes clear and bright with any color being acceptable. Any color legs/shanks are acceptable. GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: FEMALE

The general characteristics are similar to those of the male, allowing for the natural sexual differences.

BirchenTradSeramaStand.jpg

Drawing by Sigrid vanDort

DISQUALIFICATIONS:

Lack of attitude, nervousness or shyness, sqatting, pecking at handler, flying off show table,
long back, low tail carriage, wry tail, cow hocks, duck feet, legs too short or too tall. Comb other than single, Any general defects. Weight exceeding the upper limit.

SILKIED, FRIZZLE, BOOTED SERAMA

Silkied, frizzle, booted Serama are acceptable. However they should display a high and upright tail, wide as in the smooth feathered. The comb should be moderate in size as in smooth feathered and not large as in the Japanese.

SCALE OF POINTS

TYPE----------------------- 30
TAIL CARRIAGE ------------- 15
WING CARRIAGE -------------- 10
FEATHER QUALITY ----------- 10
CONDITION--------------------10
CHARACTER--------------------25

TOTAL ----------------------100

The Traditional Serama is bred primarily for table top competition at stand alone shows, unless welcomed at other venues.

A Fourth Weight Catagory, Class D, Cocks up 550 grams and Hens up to 500 grams will be allowed through 2014 as downsizing continues.

Last edited:
Gee, how many place are there now for info on the serama? I know there are differences but it stinks having to look at every other site...I wish there was 1 place with all the information so we dont have to cruze all over. I thank you for the work you did I know it takes time Jerry. I now have like 5 marked sites I visit....Frustrating! But, I will mark this along with the others.
lol.png

Sigrid is so artistic!

I am pleased to see the draft of the traditional serama. They deserve recognition - they have an amazing history! The traditional seramas are so beautiful. Thank you for posting this! It is now bookmarked in my favorites as this is the standard I will be gearing my flock towards.

Back
Top Bottom