Tragedy in the coop

Joe1962

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
I have 4 surviving hens from last year and had 7 new 8 week old chicks in their own area in the coop. I let the adult girls out during the day and leave the little door open for them to come and go. I walked out around 6:30 and my boss hen came running across to yard to me squawking her head off. I when to the coop and seen one chick dead in the run and heard two hens going crazy inside the coop. I closed the door and went back to the house to get the appropriate tools. When I cam back there was a huge she coon in the run. Lets just say I will have no more problems from her. She had gotten into the chick run and killed three. Wounded two others, not sure if they will make it yet. I keep the door open so the can get food and water and lay there eggs. I could only find three of the older hens. I kept whistling for the fourth but she was not to be seen. Finally at about 7:30 she showed up at the coop. I don't want to lock them up.

I want them to be able to forage. I also want to collect their eggs. If I close the door they will lay their eggs outside. I guess keep live traps baited and relocate them when I catch them?

Henriettamom919

Crowing
May 1, 2019
North of Seattle
I am so very sorry :hugs

I would absolutely bait some live traps. There might be a wild animal preserve nearby that will come collect and take them for you.

I get your conundrum but if you see another in the next few days I'd do a lockdown so the baited trap is the only food available.

Joe1962

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
They are on lock down now and I have one live trap baited. They are not going to like it but till I know I have this under control. I had one hen setting on eggs for 11 days. The girls are rattled and she whet to the roost after this. I moved the eggs to the incubator.

50-45-1

Crowing
11 Years
Free ranging is risky bussiness. I can only do it because my three guardian dogs are also loose and on duty when the chickens are out.
I still have lost 3 hens this spring. I think to a very sneeky bobcat.
I would not relocate racoons. Dispatch them or call animal control and they will do it.
A secure coop and run are the best protection for your chickens. How about a run with some electric fencing?
Sorry you lost your birds.
Good luck!

cmom

Hilltop Farm
12 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Free ranging is risky bussiness. I can only do it because my three guardian dogs are also loose and on duty when the chickens are out.
I still have lost 3 hens this spring. I think to a very sneeky bobcat.
I would not relocate racoons. Dispatch them or call animal control and they will do it.
A secure coop and run are the best protection for your chickens. How about a run with some electric fencing?
Sorry you lost your birds.
Good luck!
I agree. I have electric wire around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates, some buried wire in some places and heavy duty netting covering all of the pens/runs all due to losses due to predators in the past. I do not close the pop doors in the coops, but have had no intrusions in several years. I have game cameras set up in different places on my property and most every night see a predator on at least one of the cameras.

Joe1962

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
I did dispatch the coon that did the killing yesterday. I caught another in the live trap last night. It will be dispatched also as well as all future catches. I have hardened my coop and encased the run with hardwire cloth due to a weasel attack several months ago. This coon got in through the small door I have in the run for the chickens to come and go. I am heading to lowes to pickup an electric fence charger/wire/insulators. Can I run the fence all the time? Or will the chickens get scared of the coop?

Top Bottom