Tragedy on our farm

glad to see that peter is doing so great. I better check on the kids as I call the hens and one rooster. Lucky guy

He is a beautiful roo and its wonderful to see him being perky lol. We just bought 9 acres and while we were out marking where the house, barn and chicken coop will be, we heard an odd (for lack of a better term) yell or scream. Looked towards the fencing line and there was a huge hawk watching us. He just gave me a heads up on the covered run lol. He was beautiful but I still dont want to contribute to his daily menu. Thanks for posting the info on on your chickens, I would never have known that heavy fishing line was a detterent (I was already saving for poultry netting). Please keep us updated on your roos progress.

AHappychick-

Actually, all of our chickens are the same age. We bought them all as day old chicks and then picked out the rooster and five hens to keep as laying hens. The rest are for the freezer. We have 8 to process next weekend (assuming the hawk doesn't get them). The laying hens and rooster are kept separate.

Quote:
I don't blame you for wanting to protect your chix but it would be nice if you could find out if these domestic animals(cats.feral or not) are neutered and fed. they are probably breeding and hungry and given as they are domestic need a little help in the food department. wild animals are another issue.

If I could have a rooster I would want one just like Peter.
frow.gif

You got the best site in the world for helping you with Peter right here.

Just make sure you keep the wound areas cleaned and keep antibiotic ointment on the wounds..make sure you do not use one with pain reliver in it...that can kill birds quickly.

Keep his protein up, give him scrambled eggs for treats.

Keep him hydrated...you can add vitamins, minerals and electrolytes to his water.

Glad you found a nice competent vet to look him over.

Last edited:
Peter's wound looks great. However, I think I didn't rinse off the Nolvasan well enough because he has a patch of red skin below the wound. I rinsed him very well last night and will call the vet if it isn't better tomorrow. He might just not be getting his feathers dry enough after his bath. With his wound scabbed over nicely and hard, I need to ask the vet if nightly baths are still necessary.

If he is in a cuddly mood, wrap him in a towel and hold him after his bath...just pat him to help dry him....also use a heat lamp if you are not already...that will dry him out well.

His tail area looks better this morning but there may be a lump. I just don't know chicken anatomy well enough to be sure. No heat, but could it be an abscess? Or do chickens normally have a lump by their tails?

Back
Top Bottom