Tragedy - seeking advice ASAP, please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rrfarm2, Aug 27, 2016.

1. rrfarm2

rrfarm2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    Our beautiful BPR was sitting on a nest - about 2 chicks had hatched, and I was expecting the rest to hopefully come today. But tragedy struck last night and a predator got her. One of the hatched chicks was dead, one was barely alive, which I'm tending to in a box with pine shavings and heat lamp, but don't know if she'll make it. She has a raw spot on her back, and something seems wonky with one leg/hip. She may have been stepped on during the attack. She was peeping earlier when she got warmed up, and trying to move around, but her legs aren't cooperating. There is also something hanging out of her vent. I've dipped her little beak in food and water, but she has no interest in either. I'm not holding out much hope for her. But we'll see. Anyway, I gently took the 4 remaining eggs, and have them in the box as well. They are sitting on top of a moist cloth, which is sitting on top of a heat pack, and a heat lamp is keeping them at about 99 degrees. I've misted them every few hours as well. I know not to turn them now that hatch (if it even happens) is imminent. They were cold when I found them - no idea when my poor momma was taken - just some time overnight. Obviously, I don't have an incubator sitting around. I've read though other posts on this wonderful site about hatching eggs without an incubator, but am I doing what I should? Do you think there is any chance whatsoever that these eggs will hatch? I am just heartbroken.
    [​IMG]

2. rrfarm2

Jun 2, 2014
    On further inspection, I think what's hanging out of the one baby is actually it's yolk sac, hanging from its navel.

3. goosiesnougs

goosiesnougs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    New England
    Keep the baby warm and dry so she can fluff out. Don't pick at the yolk sac unless it's very dry and dehydrated. I would snip it if it's hanging there too long...they can sometimes peck at it and their insides come out with it. Keep the eggs as close to 99.5-100 degrees as you can, without an incubator I don't know how to tell you to keep humidity up (but the spraying will drop the temp) .
    Have you candled the eggs to see any movement? It will be ok to move them gently for that. Broody hens do it all the time;) best of luck!

4. goosiesnougs

Oct 4, 2014
    New England
    Don't worry about food or drink until tomorrow or the day after. That yolk sac will keep her full and hydrated for a couple days. I keep the food and water in the brooder but they don't touch it for a day or two.

5. rrfarm2

Jun 2, 2014
    Thanks for the advice! I just tried to candle them, but I'm either not doing it right, or don't have a bright enough flashlight, but I can't see a thing. I also just took a temp reading with the thermometer right on top of the eggs, and it's at 102. Is that too high? I wonder if I just keep the cloth under them moist if the evaporation will provide sufficient humidity. When I spray them, I do use very warm water.

Thanks again.

6. goosiesnougs

Oct 4, 2014
    New England
    Go into a dark closet, and use your phone flashlight. It should be bright enough. I hold my light right up to the large end of the shell. I think 102 is a degree or two too high. I would put the damp cloth over them and maybe 102 will be ok.

7. rrfarm2

Jun 2, 2014
    OK, that worked. I couldn't see much - the majority of the egg was just dark (these chicks were just on the verge of hatching), but I didn't see any movement at all. The one living chick isn't long for this world, I don't think. I'm trying to get up the courage to put her out of her misery, but she just seems to be sleeping or unconscious anyway. Oh, this is miserable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by