Tragedy - What was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4hooves&featheredfriends, Apr 25, 2009.

1. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Stupid, stupid, stupid. Up until this point I was such a good chicken Mom, I even saved my Oz from an impacted crop by doing surgery but yesterday I really blew it. I am devastated.

It was such beautiful day I wanted to get the flock outside but the girls kept staying under the corn crib and not coming in at dark, so I was crawling under there to snag chickens. My poor knees and then my 76 yr old mother is under there one evening. Yesterday I tacked up some wire to keep the chickens in the run outside of the corn crib. I was a few feet short - so ah ha I can use the trailer divider (the 3x4 panel metal screen that divides the front) and lean it up against the wall and stabilize it with a 2x8.

As I was grooming my horse for a ride and heard a commotion, looked up and nothing seemed odd. The flock was off to the right and the rooster was harassing a girlie. I looked up again and realized the panel had fallen away from the wall.

OH NO - I ran over imagining-please no, please no don't let an of my girls be under there. I came around the corner and there was my largest black Australorp pinned under the panel, quite obviously deceased and a little SLW looking up at me - like, "Mom get me out of here." The larger bird actually had taken the impact and her body size kept the SLW from being killed. I am thankful I didn't lose two but what an awful thing -it makes me so sad to lose her and to have had a hand in it. [​IMG]

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I hate to hear when people lose a member of their flock

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] I am sorry for your loss!

Hindsight is always 20-20. You did what you knew at the time to be the best course of action. It's impossible to protect our flock from every thing that could go wrong. Stupid would be if you did this very same thing again, which I do not think you ever will.

You live & learn, forgive yourself & go on. Find a favorite bush or tree to bury your hen under so her essence can contribute to its growth and, in that way, continue to live.

4. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I am so sorry you lost one of your babies![​IMG]

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    [​IMG] So sorry!

6. shawnm2639

shawnm2639 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    Oh man, I am so sorry for the big girl but glad the little one made it. When I moved my chicken wire dog crate in my house one freezing night a couple of days after getting 20 br day olds I must have lost one through the bottom somehow. I counted the next day and thought the feed store just miss counted. A day or so later I found the little body all the way on the other side of the house next to the water spiket. I have blamed myself for it. I know you Big Girl was with you much longer..I can just barely imagine how you feel if what I felt after a day is any indication.[​IMG]

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Ive done the same thing.. With a peice of plywood... Don't beat yourself up it happens... SOrry bout your girl though [​IMG]

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Just to say, I agree, many of us have messed up in a similar way, and stupid is only when you don't learn from your mistake.

So sorry.

9. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    awww it happens [​IMG]

iv done it twice [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes things happen that we just never foresee or imagine. I'm sorry you lost one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by