1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tragedy..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blb, Mar 4, 2008.

1. blb

blb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Maryland
    I got my chicks today from my pet chickens. They looked great! I had gotten 5. I took them home and got them all set up. I'm a nanny so I had 2 of the 3 kids I watch with me and had to leave right away to take 1 to afternoon school.

This is where things went horrible. [​IMG] I left the chicks in their brooder, a guina pig cage. It had a wire lid and seemed good. I also have 3 dogs, an akita, a pit bull and a husky. The dogs got to the chicks. [​IMG] I asked a friend to check on them for me since I wouldn't be home until 5:30. She called and said the brooder was torn apart. The heat lamp had burned a spot on our wood floor and the chicks were gone. She found 1 outside on the deck dead. We have a dog door so the dogs can come and go. I'm so upset and blaming myself. Why did I leave the dogs alone with them. [​IMG] I am just sick of heart.

I'm going to get more chicks next week from the farmers coop. I'm lying to the kids I watch and say they are fine. It would break their hearts if they knew. They will be kept in the basement, the dogs are never allowed in there.

2. CoopDelisle

CoopDelisle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Gulf Coast
    So sorry for you to start that way...I hope you don't give up. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way how our animals may react. This time make sure you have a very safe brooder and then you won't feel so worried every time you must leave them....:aww

3. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Im so sorry... [​IMG]

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

So sorry to hear that blb. I know you were excited for them. [​IMG]

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Rick

Rick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Hi Blb,

Sorry to hear about your chicks.

I had something similiar happen with my first batch of chicks. My sons ferret got out killed all the chicks. He was pretty sad. I was mad at myself for not expecting it. We now have a very solid "ferret proof" brooder.

-Rick

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Oh, I'm so sorry! Just when you think you have everything dog proof they will find a way.

Hope things go better with the new babies!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am very sorry this happened to you.

9. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

:aww I am so sorry :aww

10. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas