Train chicken to be tame and stay in pen

So every bird except for an asil is just an average bird? Wow.

My males are gentlemen, they just don't let their females over rule them. They get their flock duties done and more without don't associate me with being starved and punished

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16263260/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16144607/

There haven't been very many studies on the NCL that I could find, but they seem to be very similar to the PFC of mammals.

I personally don't see anything wrong with anthropomorphizing animals, so long as you understand they are different species, have different needs, and don't baby them. I think it's good to believe animals have the same emotions as humans because I think it makes us less likely to hurt them. There're good studies out there showing that plenty of animals do share the same emotions as us, and we haven't even come close to studying every animal's brain. I think people need to stop looking at animals as objects and instead see them as people.

I came here to offer advice not argue, so I'm going to leave this here. I'm very open to any advice/criticism/corrections, so feel free to message me.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16263260/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16144607/

There haven't been very many studies on the NCL that I could find, but they seem to be very similar to the PFC of mammals.

I personally don't see anything wrong with anthropomorphizing animals, so long as you understand they are different species, have different needs, and don't baby them. I think it's good to believe animals have the same emotions as humans because I think it makes us less likely to hurt them. There're good studies out there showing that plenty of animals do share the same emotions as us, and we haven't even come close to studying every animal's brain. I think people need to stop looking at animals as objects and instead see them as people.
How about seeing them as animals? If they were people, I would tell them to get a job and buy their own food. They are ANIMALS who depend on PEOPLE for food and shelter. Your advice ("leave them be") would mean they stay in the trees and get eaten by predators. I posted what worked for me because no one else had experience training roosters to go into individual pens at night. Maybe I should have talked to them about their feelings instead :rolleyes:

I have 2 broody-raised cockerels I want to make tame. I read in other threads to put chickens in small individual pens, and get them eating mealworms from your hands. So, I have done that. The next step is to get them used to being touched. The problem is that as soon as I open the pen more than a crack, they bolt. Then I have to chase them down, and then they hate me, and we are back to square one. Even if I put the rooster pen in a fenced area, they keep trying to escape. I tried to put one on a tie cord, but he somehow took it off.

They are asils, so it should not be that hard. what am i doing wrong?
Have you tried going in to there pen at night? And talking to them and touching them while they are chilling out.?

Have you tried going in to there pen at night? And talking to them and touching them while they are chilling out.?
it's a 3x3x3 pen, not something a person can sit in. I did spend many days sitting next to the pens with my laptop working during the day.

How about seeing them as animals? If they were people, I would tell them to get a job and buy their own food. They are ANIMALS who depend on PEOPLE for food and shelter. Your advice ("leave them be") would mean they stay in the trees and get eaten by predators. I posted what worked for me because no one else had experience training roosters to go into individual pens at night. Maybe I should have talked to them about their feelings instead :rolleyes:
Sorry, I should've been more clear. I think of animals as children (biologically different from humans, but emotionally the same). A 5yr old can't get a job or buy their own food, but they're still considered people.
Just thought I should clarify.

I don't care if you think the falconer I talked to is wrong. He has been training raptors for over 30 years in North America and Asia so he has more experience then you.

Anyways I'm not forming a "partnership" with my roosters lmao. Cock fighters do that, exercise their birds daily and measure caloric intake. I just want my roosters to go back into their pens at night instead of roosting in the trees like they used to!! Now I do that by not feeding them until they go into their pens. Its not that complicated lol.
That’s not exactly the same as starving them. I do something similar with my hens by feeding them in the morning, letting them out later to free range, and then giving them the rest of their food in their coop to get them to go back inside. This is because I have bantams and live in an area with a lot of hawks, so I have to supervise them the entire time they’re free ranging, and often can’t stay out there for the entire time it takes them to go back to their coop.

That’s not exactly the same as starving them. I do something similar with my hens by feeding them in the morning, letting them out later to free range, and then giving them the rest of their food in their coop to get them to go back inside. This is because I have bantams and live in an area with a lot of hawks, so I have to supervise them the entire time they’re free ranging, and often can’t stay out there for the entire time it takes them to go back to their coop.
That is exactly like what I do now. BUT, for the first few days, they did not get any morning food, only one feeding when they went back into the pen. They were starving during those days but it's better than getting eaten by wild animals.

Back
Top Bottom