Train Feathers??

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
All my males have lost their train feathers and new have started to grow however I have a 2 year old Emerald Spalding that still has about 5 trailing behind him. Should I be concerned? There isn't some sort of condition that can cause this to happen, is there? Do some of you have peacocks still carrying some train feathers? Thanks.

I only had 2 males old enough to have trains to lose, however, D'artagnan dragged one lonely, trailing tail feather for a couple of weeks after all the rest fell out. You don't know how tempted I was to yank it out. It was so pathetic-looking. He finally lost it -- after he already had two new "eyes" forming!

Thanks for reply. Hopefully my boy is ok. About a year ago he spooked and hit his head but thankfully didn't break his neck. He was actually sold waiting to be picked up but I replaced him with another bird. I'll keep him forever now....am so attached. He's such a sweetheart. He'd laid around for about a week...was so concerned he wasn't going to make it but did. Only problem I see now is when he fans his neck leans over to one side a little...isn't straight up the middle. Pray there isn't some neurological damage that effects the feathers. LOL, I worry to much.

I don't think this indicates any kind of problem.
All of the guys here have lost their train feathers except for Skittles, who is trailing around a few strays.
And last year Mr. Chuffy held onto two train feathers forever - I thought he was never going to drop them.
I would definitely not worry about your boy!

Back
Top Bottom