Training 3 mo/o Chicks to use a ramp

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ximat, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Ximat

Ximat New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    Hello,

I'm a new poster, but an avid forum lurker.

To start: yes, i've used the search option, and read all I can find about training chicks to use a ramp, however, I can't seem to get mine to do so.

I've got 20 3 month old chicks, of multiple different breeds in a raised coop. They have a ramp out the bottom of the coop that leads to their enclosed run. I have two full grown (1+ years old) chickens in there with them. The full growns use the ramp numerous times a day without any issues, however, the babies wont go near the ramp.

I have tried putting treats on the ramp, i've tried placing them in the middle of the ramp to choose up or down, i've tried it all. When they are in the coop they wont go near the ramp. if they are down in the run (having been put there physically by us) they will stay underneath and not even come close to going up the ramp. Even when it gets dark, and cold out they'll all cuddle up in a corner of the run and go to sleep, while the other two full growns are up in their nice warm coop sleeping on their roost.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get this ladies to start using the ramp and use the full space they've been alloted? [​IMG] they have a very large coop, and an even larger run, theres no reason why they shouldn't enjoy it!

Thank you so much in advance,

X

2. sheetmetalpete

sheetmetalpete Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    [​IMG]

Simply put, don't worry about it. They'll figure it out on their own, especially since you have a couple showing them the ropes (or ramp as this case would be). I'd leave them inside the coop. Eventually they'll want to come outside.

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    like said, they'll figure it out...

chickens are smart, and sooner or later one chicken will get the hang of it, and later on all of the other ones will learn from that one first smart chicken...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by