Training a donkey 🤬

I trained my goat to walk on a lead not to long ago, and had the exact same experience as you. My advice is to start will very short sessions, and ditch the whip. Using a whip is teaching by force, you want them to think it's okay to follow, not that,"they have to or else". For the first few days will my goat, all I did was try to get him out of the pen. He didn't want to go any further then that, and would fight me if I tried. I used Timothy pellets to encourage him, and pressure and release. When he moved, immediately remove pressure. When he stopped, immediately pull and shake a bin of pellets.
I also started him on a DIY rope halter before his nylon one arrived. It was nice since it would get tighter, (much like a pop collar or check chain on a dog) and release when I applied and released pressure. That was key for me in getting him listening.
After finally getting Billy to walk sort of with me outside his pen, I then advanced the hitching post were I could tie him and brush him. This was key in teaching him that it was okay to follow. At this point I had his Nylon halter on him, I wouldn't tie in the style of rope halter I was using. Once your Donkey will let you take him far enough to be tied and brushed, do that first so that they know they get a good grooming if they work for you. They like it, and it's a great start to the session.
After a few days of brushing and short sessions, Billy surprised me by allowing me to easily take him into the back yard, run a few laps and back. As soon as he started getting sick of it, I end on a good note and take him back. You can't over work them, thats the last key.
The next day he allowed me to walk him pretty far away from the pen and up next to a chain saw, (at my side the whole time.) And the next day he gladly went on a 2 mile walk at my side the entire time. Then we continued for a 10 minuet walk around our perimeter trail. It just takes time and rewards.
The 3 most important things in training are-

Rope halter for the start. (I don't know if it would have the same affect on your Donkey or not, but it worked for me)
Tying and brushing once he allows it
Once they get sick of it and start fighting you, end on a good note and call it.

Of course, I'm talking about training a goat, not a Donkey, but I think they learn the same way. @oldhenlikesdogs, please correct me if any of this is wrong, or shouldn't be used on a Donkey. I hope you find this info helpful.
Yup, I do have a rope halter that I’m using. I probably should have clarified, the only time I ever touch him with the whip is when he doesn’t respond to me tapping it by his feet, and I never do more than a light tap with it on his butt. I have never touched him trying to cause pain in any way :)) I am working on being able to brush him and haven’t had any big issues other than the usual tickly spots, and can’t pick his feet yet.

How old is this donkey and for how long do you own him by now?
Is he the only donkey or are there other donkeys at your place for him to interact, or maybe horses?

Dealing with all kinds of animals, the thing I found the most important, is to build trust and show consistency. And keeping in mind: the more intelligent they are, the easier they get bored and if you have built a trusting relationship, they will be eager to explore some new and intriguing "games" with you.
He is about 16 years old and I’ve had him for 3 years. The previous owner neglected him a little but said he used to go to kids parties for rides about 11 years back 🙄 I don’t even know if that’s true though because you would think he wouldn’t be so green now with that kind of experience, especially being a donkey. He lives with 6 goats right now, but used to live in a pen with another horse when he want mine.

He is about 16 years old and I’ve had him for 3 years. The previous owner neglected him a little but said he used to go to kids parties for rides about 11 years back 🙄 I don’t even know if that’s true though because you would think he wouldn’t be so green now with that kind of experience, especially being a donkey. He lives with 6 goats right now, but used to live in a pen with another horse when he want mine.
Well, I guess you never really know whether what the previous owners said is true or not.

But you could just start the training program from the beginning and see how he gets along....

whenever I picture a donkey I picture a donkey with a stick attached to it's head and a carrot dangling from the end that the donkey can't reach.

I have no clue if it works but I have always thought they were too stubborn to move any other way lol. I've always wanted to try my vision in real life to see if it would get the donket to keep chasing the carrot or if it would figure out it would never get the carrot.

whenever I picture a donkey I picture a donkey with a stick attached to it's head and a carrot dangling from the end that the donkey can't reach.

I have no clue if it works but I have always thought they were too stubborn to move any other way lol. I've always wanted to try my vision in real life to see if it would get the donket to keep chasing the carrot or if it would figure out it would never get the carrot.
Haha! Yeah I’m not too sure if that would work since he doesn’t like stuff above his head....

Back
Top Bottom