Training a single pigeon

Thepigeonguy

Songster
Feb 20, 2018
Idaho falls, Idaho, U.S.
So if my little guy makes it I will definitely want to train him to fly 30+ Minutes minimum. However since he’s the only bird I wondering if I should 1: train him by himself or 2: wait for more babies. I’m hesitant to wait because by then he will probably be fat and lazy. Does anyone know of a way to train a single bird? Because I know the flock mentality is a big reason for birds staying in the air. So most people on here keep racers/homers( which I’m interested in getting eventually) but I’m guessing basic loft flying principles are the same. Get the burds to fly as long as they can, at least in the beginning. So all I want to know is how to keep him in the air that long. Thanks for all the help, particularly @Hokum Coco .

Are your adult breeders homeset or prisoners???
They were kept for several years as breeders( not flying) at the old owners house. I keep them as prisoners, and probably will continue to do so until I have at least a minimum of 10 birds. I would say they are not home set yet. The old owner recommended I keep them in for at least 3-4 rounds of babies.

1: train him by himself
You hen bird will in most cases be on a second clutch of eggs before the squab takes flight. It is the ♂'s duty in a perfect world to train the offspring while she incubates.
Therefore I would open your loft to let the family do their own thing for a few hours each day would be the best solution in your case. For the first month after the squab begin to test it's wings. After the next round of birds arrive I would begin to fly the squeakers as a kit once they all become mature enough.

I am in a similar situation because I had a pair lay and hatch very early, it was a few months ago. One squab died, leaving me with one bird, he is now a few months. I am waiting to train him with other YBs, and I plan to simply pin or soap his wings for the first few releases. I would agree with your idea that they are best trained in groups.

Back
Top Bottom