1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Training an LGD

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CarolJ, Jul 24, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    In a couple weeks, I plan to get an LGD puppy (Great Pyrenees, most likely). Before then, I want to learn as much as possible about training the dog to guard my chickens. We have 90 acres, although I want the chickens to stay mostly in our yard and around the barn. Guarding the chickens will be the LGDs only job. Does anyone have any suggestions for books, videos on training LGDs? Thanks!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I can provide based on personal experience. Hopefully pup less than 8 weeks of age. Confine pup in coop or run with adult chickens that are calm natured. If concern about pup causing harm, have partition or fence between them at first. Encourage pup to eat in close proximity to birds. Keep them together continously for next few weeks. If chicks introduced later, then do it slowly so that the novel stimulus provided by chicks is not too exciting. Keep inteactions low key.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by