Training birds to use the ramp into elevated hen house

That is not where I would want lights. It will fool birds into thinking day lasting longer than it does. I suggest for short term placing a night light like used for small children and placing it in the coop. Have it running 24/7 for a few days. At same time have the lights under eaves turned off until some time after dark. If goes as I expect, then as daylight deminishes the birds will gravitate to lighted coop area through / over ramp without being destracted by exterior lights. Once birds get used to going into coop on their own you should be able to turn the eave lights on as doing now..

The light is inside. It needs to be on for egg production. Sorry if I was confusing, it is inside, at the top just under the roof. Like, where normal folks put it in a room in their house. Top, center. NOT outside. I've kept chickens 30 years, but this is the first time I've made a raised coop.

Then lights are as I would use them. Did you follow my initial suggestion of allowing only one bird out near end of day, preferably rooster? You could also let all but rooster out and he would call balance back up.

I have used the equivalent of raised coops for a long time mostly to deny access by ground predators. To get to work birds have to fly a bit, sometimes more than the 6 feet vertical indicated earlier. Same locations seemed not to be interesting to birds if it was too easy to get to.

Last edited:
Well, ours have learned to use the ladder. They have an A Frame tractor that is approx 5 ft by 8 ft and 4.5 ft tall. With all this space, a roost, and nesting box, once they get up the ladder, that's where they stay all huddled together on a small 6 inch floor space where the ladder/door opens. I have put food at the opposite end of the upper level to coax them over closer to the roost to no avail. I have sprinkled treats in the same area hoping they would get fat and happy and just hop up to roost. As of tonight which is about 3 weeks into their new home, they still are cuddling together in a small corner above the ladder door. Silly chickens indeed:>
HAHA At least im not alone in this!
Mine have gotten where they go IN once i PUT them in the doorway WHOO WHOO!
If Mine was preditor tight i would leAve them out too but its not
.Day time my 165lb dog prowls the yard but night they gotta be in
LIght IS on inside.All cozy.... Food
Actually i think they dont like this coop Not enough windows When I open it they shoot out like rockets
. My others have window and when i look in they sit where they are looking out.

I have some other older girls that hated thier first coop I then built another with lots of windows and first day they walked right in to check in out....LOVE it from day one!
Would sqawk like crazy when i put them in the first one at night

Maybe they dont like sharing the space?
Treats are not too high on their priority list yet. Just started to give them.
Bread will get my others to do ANYTHING!!!..Gotta get these bread hooked. ...fast !

Haha I’m glad others are doing the squat, grab and shove 🤣I’ve only had my silkies for two days and it’s getting old already they seems quiet brain dead haha. Mealworms seem to be a big hit so I’ll try to lure them up through the roost side door and the light trick. I also had to shave the hair above both eyes of one girl as she was basically blind and wouldn’t walk anywhere

I was afraid my silkie would struggle with a ramp and so I used a series of platforms that step down. They caught on pretty quickly to it. (the silkie managed fine but ended up a roo and has been re-homed)

I ended up keeping the food and water under the platforms.

I would think if you try something like that, it might get them where they need to be and if you want to change to a ramp at some point, then they might do better with it then.

IMG_20210713_181751_268.jpg

Back
Top Bottom