Training Chickens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mylittlechickpea, Jan 17, 2011.

1. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Not sure if this is the right place, feel free to move it if it's not.

So I went out to hatchery/feed store to get some food today. I was talking to the lady that works there, as I always do. We've had some crazy rain lately so I was telling her that Chickpea's been roaming the house for the last couple weeks in her diaper. And even though she's seen pictures, and has one of the old diapers hanging on the wall for me, she is still so amazed that Chickpea never seems to mind. And is perfectly content when roaming in her diaper. She told me she tried a diaper once for one of hers and poor Peanut looked so ashamed, and wouldn't even come out of the bathroom [​IMG]

She went on to tell me about some crazy japanese game show she watches sometimes. And she only watches it because one contestant has a chicken living in their apartment. I guess they give you $100 and you have to live off that for one month, so this dude bought a chicken. And you can see in the apartment cameras, she'll wonder around the living room, eat some table scraps, wonder, and then she goes into this box every once in a while and continues wondering and goes back in the box. So the gal at the feed store was wondering if the chicken was pooing in the box because you never saw the guy picking up anything from the floor. And then I guess later on he ran out of money and was pleading with his chicken and she laid him egg right then and there...

And then we got to talking about training animals. Somewhere she met some lady that trains dogs. And the school she went to to train the dogs they started out on chickens [​IMG] And when you had finally mastered the chicken you could move up to dogs.. [​IMG] Wow.

So we were wondering about how to train chickens. Is it like training dogs? Chickpea listens to me so well that I never really thought about it.. My husband was commenting on it last week too. That when I see Chickpea out in the yard I'll call her and she either comes running or she'll squat down so I can pick her up. He calls her name and she'll look at him and either go back to what she was doing, or she'll run in the other direction [​IMG]

So is there a tried and true way to Cesar Milan some chickens? I wonder what they train them on? Sit, stay? [​IMG] Hmm, if any of ya'll have ever trained your chickens to do anything, what was it and how'd you do it?

2. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    If you look up trained chickens on youtube they have some videos that show the chickens that were trained by people who were becoming dog trainer.
    Heres a link that shows one.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I train to come to me, sometimes flying by voice command. Also trained them to stand on scale to be weighed. Some of my flyers go readily over 100 feet but after much longer flights where they can be called back in, even when in a strange location.

4. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    LOL... This is going to sound really funny but YOU ASKED! LOL... I trained my little Buff Orpington roosters to "crow on command" LOL! It is the most funny thing! I just walk into the coop and put them on their perch and then say their names one at a time and after they hear their name they crow! LOL... At first my Mom didn't believe me and then I took her out to see it and she was in awe! HAHA! It is kind of wierd though.... they won't do it unless they are on the perch!

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Chicken training absolutely works. My chickens have me trained perfectly - - I come running every time they call.

[​IMG]

6. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

7. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    [​IMG]
    Quote:And thanks for the video, reverie. I liked it. There was also one titled chicken agility, I thought was cute. And Chooks Chick, that sounds amazing! I wish I could have a roo, I would try and teach it [​IMG]

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    All I have to scream/yell etc is "HERE CHICK, CHICK, CHICK, CHICK!!!" and they come flying/running/and galloping from every direction!!! [​IMG]

All 11 horses come a'runn'in if I call too - Go Figure. [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Goodness, all I have to do is OPEN THE DOOR and the chickens come running from every which way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by