training chicks to recognize name

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Aug 26, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    As part of project to promote voluntary flight I am now attempting to get bitties to come to me when called. Working with two sibling cockerols that are about 30 days post hatch. Seems to be working, Eduardo only flies to hand when I call his name. Sally does not approach but flaps wings like a young song bird.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh yes, I find chickens very trainable! Mine know their names...they all know the tone I use (higher pitch...like baby talk) when I'm talking to them/calling them and will look at me, but I only get a "conversational response" or a squat from the bird whose name I called. [​IMG]

3. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    I also use a higher tone of voice when I say there name or call them-they do know-they also will squat or look over-I use my tone a little different with each one-I always new I had smart girls!!!!!! [​IMG]

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I saw the video of Eduardo, that was way cool. [​IMG] It seems that he is well on his way. I think that 1 month was about the age we started training ours. Good luck and keep us posted.

5. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Quote:Thats what i thought with my dogs until i started saying stuff like spaghetti castles int eh same rythm/tone as "Has a pee?"

i will say they DO know "Get in your cage" When i have to leave.

I think id be labeled the insane woman if i tried to train my chickens.. although i have to admit... putting one on a leash and taking them somewhere would be fantastic LOL

6. cloudswinger

cloudswinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    I tried the leash thing on a chicken once when I was a teen. I used a rabbit harness, and strapped its wings down. The poor thing could not walk. It was funny, but pathetic. So if you try, don't strap its wings down! I couldn't figure out how to get its wings through the side panels.

7. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    I haven't tried to train the chickens, but a few definitely know their names, and seem to understand commands a little. It may be more the tone of my voice, but when I point, they seem to get it. I can point in the run, and they will return to the run. Or if I see something that may be of interest to them, I point at it and they always look to see where and what I am pointing at.

And there are others who are oblivious. The one chicken that I spend the most time with, I bring her in the house, carry her all over the yard, etc, will NEVER even look if I call her name. Poor Ginger, she's adorable but maybe not too bright. And others come running at their names.

To the OP, I think your filght project is a really neat idea. Where is this video of Eduardo? I would like to see it.

8. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    I am wicked interested in this. How in the world do you train a chicken to come by name? My cats don't even respond to their own names.

9. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    Y'all, check out the book "Don't Shoot the Dog," by Karen Pryor. Chickens are easy to clicker train. Karen says no one should be allowed to train a dog till they have trained a chicken! I haven't clicker trained my chickens yet - they're only 6 weeks!- but I know it works on dogs, Umbrella Cockatoos & parakeets. And the Ladies have trained themselves to enter & exit the dog crate for their trip to the garage at night & back to the pen in the morning [​IMG]

10. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    My chickens definately know thier names as well as "time to go in", "don't eat the paint", "where are the chickens?",and thier favorite "I've got raisins" [​IMG]

The cats also know thier names as well as "come on let's go", "get off the table", "wanna go outside?",also "get in the hole" for when they need to go in the crate and "time to leave the bedrooooom" which is used in the morning to get them out of the bedroom so I can shut the door for the day.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by