Training dog to leave chickens alone

GoAngels

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 8, 2010
Southern California
We are dog sitting my sibling's rat terrier/jack russell and I'm trying to train her to coexist with the chickens. This dog has an extremely high prey drive. Last night, when I brought her home, she was all over my hoop house and at one point she was halfway on top of the house. I had to get the hose (she hates to be sprayed with the hose) just to get her to back off. Today, I took her out there and used a squirt bottle (which she also hates) to get her to leave the chickens alone.

Obviously, I would never allow her to be outside without supervision, but is it possible to train a dog with such strong instincts to leave the chickens alone or am I just wasting my time? Before we got chickens, we dog sat this dog frequently.

I think the best you could do is make it so she won't charge the hen house every time when you're around. Which can be helpful.

Co-existing in this case though I'd say is impossible. The dog has already displayed high-prey drive, and I would simply live life assuming that the dog WILL kill the chickens.

Make sure dog and chickens always have a fence between them and be diligent in knowing where everyone is, and you should all be fine.

I think because you only "dog sit" your chances are pretty slim. The best you can hope for it to learn to "leave it" and not charge the coop.
The flapping of the chooks seems to just get these dogs going.
hmm.png

Don't take any chances with the girls - they will no doubt be the losers.

Back
Top Bottom