Training Ducks!

Duck Mad

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Rugby
I am going to set myself a challange, that is to try and train my ducks, and to test how clever they really are..
As they are ever so friendly affectionate and Saying certin words like BATH TREATS which gets excitment loud noises and head bobbing dancing.. I think its worth trying to train them to do some tricks.... my only problem is, What can i train them to do? They already come when called etc..
They seem to love stuff like sitting on a pile of clothes playing with material lol .. so I am going to make hand made toys for them, they like rolling tennis balls.. so i think they take enough interest in things to be worth while trying to train..

Has anybody trainned their duck unique tricks?
I might go in the attick in search of baby toys they could play with ..
Any ideas on simple tricks I would be greatful for ideas
smile.png

Hopefully be able to make a youtube video, to show their cleverness
big_smile.png

Nettie trained Victor and Ming Mei a couple of tricks. Nothing too complex.

I was able to teach Moxy to bob her head down for the "wait" command in about 15 minutes!

I have been considering training Moxy to do more complex tricks as she has shown the most potential for learning tricks. I'll most likely try starting off with basic clicker training to get her to hold still when offered food. I figure if I can get a duck to not attack peas on sight I can train a duck to do anything. lol.

Quote:
I was taken in by their cutenesssss
smile.png

yours look very happy and eager to be involved.. they do have that look as if they will learn
smile.png
yes clicker is what i have got, and going to use,.. Think im gonna start of with a small step-platform and get them to understand up and down
big_smile.png
hahaha Peas! these ducks act like they are starving when peas are about lol I'll be waiting for this video, of you telling them not to eat the peas hehehe
have you gave your ducks mealworms? .. i had a big tub of them, put them on the floor turned my back for less than a minute and not a meal worm left lol ..
Keep is posted how ur training goes
big_smile.png

After just one session of clicker training (finished just minutes ago), Moxy stopped trying to get the pea out of my hand while it was closed even though she knew it was in there. That's pretty good progress when you consider that she checks my hands for peas even when I don't have any!

Since this was her first session, I started out by just feeding her one pea at a time and using the clicker and saying "good" each time. But I only gave it to her if she wasn't trying to get it out of my closed hand.

After about 5 minutes I started saying "wait" and opening my hand to show her the pea. If she went after it, I say "no" and close my hand before she could grab it. If she held still, I used the clicker, said "good," and gave her the pea. Every once in a while, I'll immediately use the clicker, say "good," and give her the pea so that she associates the clicker and "good" with a reward.

About 50% of the time that I have peas in my hand held about eye level for her about a 8 inches away, she'll hold still and bob her head when I say "wait." Just 30 minutes ago, she would have tried to reach into my hand.

So still a loooong way to go, but I made some obvious progress in just one 15 minute session.

Clicker training has been wonderful for my dogs. They love it. It's amazing how quickly they learn using this method.

I've been thinking about using it to train the ducks, since clicker training originally was used on chickens.

Happy to hear someone is having some success with it!

Back
Top Bottom