Training Hens Where To Lay

jessied1227

Songster
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
East Brady, PA
Okay, this morning, as I was dragging out wood to work on the run, I can across a huge stash of eggs.
roll.png
12 perfect brown eggs, all deposited neatly in between 2x4's and under an old screen door. I left them there until I saw the hen go in to lay, and as soon as she went in and got all comfy, I removed her to the coop and then cleared out the eggs. I left her in the coop until she layed, and then let her out to free range with the other girls.
This got me curious, so I pretty much moved and repiled all the wood and some of the scrap pieces the hubby is saving for God knows what, and I came across another deposit if eggs, but 5 this time.
So, 17 eggs found out and around the wood pile and scrap piles. How the heck do I get them to stop laying out there? I've been getting 7-9 eggs a day from my girls, who are all 22 weeks old, but obviously, I should be getting more.
hmm.png

Any ideas?
Jess

If you leave the girls out at night abd not moved the eggs, you would have had 13 to 17 baby chicks. your hens are trying to go broody on you.
Hiding the eggs is their way trying to reproduce. Remember back to those days when all children tried hiding from their parents, well that is what your hens are doing. Even if you dn't have a roo, hens will still go broody.

Well, my roo is only 8 weeks old, so they weren't fertile.
lol.png
She didn't fuss too awful much when I took her off the eggs, I hope she's not going broody.
roll.png
The culprit is one of my black sex links. Are they an overly-broody breed?

Have you tried putting golf balls or plastic eggs in their nests?

On that note, have any of you ever tried using the multi-colored, plastic eggs that kids get at Easter time?? If so, did it seem to work??

My BO's are young and have started laying sporadically. But, they don't lay in the nests. They tend to lay in the hen yard whenever the "mood" stikes them! Or they will drop them from the highest perch on the roost poles! And since we have a few of the plastic Easter eggs, my wife and I were wondering if they would help the hens to know where to make their "deposits!"

Also, just before they lay, do young hens/pullets, know what's going on?? Or, do the eggs sometimes catch them off guard and make a "surprise appearance??"

Robert​

My hens know where their boxes are and they still lay out in the yard somewhere in bushes or something. I just think they like it better. el naturel. I found out it helps if I leave them in the coup till noon or so and then let them free range, most of them have laid by then and I get more.
hmm.png

I used some light blue plastic eggs from Easter to convince my girl to lay where I wanted her to. It worked just fine. I did fill it up with dirt so it would be heavier.

Back
Top Bottom