Training puppy

EWWW didn't realize that. You could still work on the basics with the pup. There are plenty of training books and sites out there. A big one I would teach would be leave it and come. So if he does harass the chickens you can tell him to leave it then call him to you.

Quote:
Barb are you a dog trainer???

Just wondering because I have never taken a dog to classes and often get comments on how well behaved my dogs are.

Not yet mdbucks but workin on it. I always recomend classes because quite a few (not everyone) do not know how to go about socializing and training their dogs. I also got comments about how well trained my dogs were and how well they behaved before I became interested in behavior and training.

I/we are training him and have been since we got him. He is a puppy though and sometimes he just can't resist the temptation. We are looking into getting the training collar and wire to put in front of the property as he goes across the road when chasing rabbits and yesterday he ran up the road knowing that our grand-daughter goes up that way to the bus stop. He is learning ,he is very smart. He tries so hard but sometimes he is a puppy.
We have a 11 yr old rottie that is so very well behaved. The only problem we have with him is guarding the blankets at night (he talks A LOT all the time) he wants us to play. We can take him anywhere in any cercumstance. BUT, other people see a rottie and freak out. It is beyond their comprhension that a rottie can be nice,friendly, gentle. If I had known about the program when he was a pup, I would have trained him to be a therapy dog, his personality is perfect for it.
Right now I/we are working on come(he needs a lot of work on that one) He won't come when off chasing a rabbit. And we are working on drop it. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Monica

Back
Top Bottom