training runners?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RunnerDucks, May 30, 2010.

1. RunnerDucks

RunnerDucks Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    In all my research I keep seeing that runner ducks are trained to stand fully upright in the show pen, but I can't find out how they are trained. Can someone help me out please?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Judges use a silver rod- extendable- much like an antenae from a car- they touch the duck to try to get it to stand up if it is sitting in the pen. They touch the breast and the tails areas to try to get them to show there stance. This is what I also do with my Runners. Some people do not put a top on the training pens of runners to try to encourage them to stand tall and " look " over the top of the pen.

I have some pens made that are almost identicle to the type used in poultry shows- that way I can put my Runners in and get them used to the confined space- and try to get them to realise that they are supposed to stand up while in the pen. They are usually only penned for a few hours each time I put them in - and I always try to make it a possitive experience as well by offering some treats before they are removed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by