Training where to lay

If they haven't begun laying yet, I'd wait to see if they use the boxes, even if you're a little short on space, it's really worth it to train them to lay where they should. You may even have to re-train them periodically.
There are some with paler faces that I would assume arent laying, but I'm not sure if the red-faced ones are laying yet or are almost there.

The last time I had pullets mature, they laid eggs all over the place, like in the middle of the driveway type stuff, not in any kind of hidden or even obvious nest. I haven't experienced that yet. But I have more hens around now so I dont know if that will teach the pullets to actually pick a spot.

I'd give your girls a chance to get it right, especially if there are mature hens already using the boxes correctly. Maybe get a fake egg or two to put in there if that won't encourage too much broodiness.
The hens are absolutely not laying in the boxes correctly. 😅 My hens are brats and they will pick a nice hidden place to lay that I will never find and come back with chicks. I love chicks so they get away with it. Occasionally theyll lay in one of their regular places (like in the chick brooder, in the corner of the storage pen, y'know, normal places *eyeroll*) and I'll get eggs for a week and then someone will go broody and ruin that spot for the rest of us. (I know now how to break a broody and may do that next time)

Update: I just measured and it's not that bad. It's like 7sqft a bird.

I think I can accept the amount of space they have now that I actually calculated it. Now I just have to make sure the cockrells in with them dont fight. 😅

Might need to sequester them.
They get along so far. It's actually interesting because one will try to mount a hen, and she doesn't cooperate, and like 3 others cockrells will show up and kick him off of her. I'm going to pretend its chivalrous.

Back
Top Bottom