Training?

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
Hi

Is it possible to kinda train a chicken? Or try to get it to follow me. WHen I say train I mean come when called, go inside the coop, follow me.

Please tell

Oh let me tell you our chickens sure know the sound of the scratch pail - they hear that sound and come RUNNING - and FLYING to whomever has the little pail in their hand!!
ep.gif

And now they even know when it's time to go home - we've trained them to the words go home every evening when we were 'hearding' them into their coops. Now all we say is go home while walking their direction and they take off for their coop. Now, mind you, if they aren't quite ready to go inside we will play ring-around-the-rosey around the coop a couple of times before they give up and go on in!
th.gif

So IMHO - chickens are trainable
yippiechickie.gif

Brenda

I start "training" mine when they're babies and I start giving them their treats (dry old fashioned oatmeal) all the while talking to them and calling them 'here chick, chick, chick" Doesn't take them very long to know that when I call them like that it means a treat.

It's not something that happens in 5 minutes....You have to keep working at it, and some groups take more time than another. Spending as much time with them as possible makes it easier.

I tried using a Shock Colar, but that didnt work out too hot, something about burning feathers and the smoke getting into the chickens eyes, so I just bribe mine with scratch.

Back
Top Bottom