trampoline chicken coop - update

friedkitty

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
South MS
We are starting our first flock (since I was 8 anyway) and our 15 little ones are going on 3 weeks. So I am starting a coop and have the general idea of what I want and have just a few sticking points I need help with. I have taken an old trampoline that had the surface melted (careless yard fire...long story) and split it in half. Using an old TV antenna pole used the leg holes at what is now the top to make a cross bar, which gives it a greenhouse look to the overall frame. (I'll try to post pictures once I figure out the site.) I have an old house that is falling apart that I am salvaging materials from to build the actual coop. My plan is to use the siding from the old house to cover the walls of the coop, but can't quite figure out how to join them at the top, since it is a metal bar. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Pictures might help in case I am understanding you wrong, but I have a million pipe hangers around and can almost always make a wood/pipe connection work. Here is a picture of an example of what I mean. They come in a bunch of different sizes.
60708_pipe.jpg

Quote:
those would work from the inside, obviously the round part goes around the pipe. if you want to do it from the outside, use tek screws. those are the ones that have the little drill bit ends on them, they drill their own holes as they go through. they'll go through the wood and then drill themselves into the metal pipe. i use them all the time, they're wonderful!

As soon as I get out of the "you might be a spammer if..." stage, I will post pictures of my progress so far. The pipe hangers are a good idea though and would work perfectly to run a wood beam over the pipe to screw the siding onto at the top. Thanks!

Well, here is the frame-up for the start of the coop/tractor. I worked on it quite a bit yesterday and got a lot more framing done. I'll post those shortly.

84637_dscf4712.jpg

The suggestion for the tak screws was spot on, they are working great for connecting to the frame! Thanks.

Here is the beginning framing. The vent is an old gable vent, the wood is all recycled from old buildings. My only cost so far has been the wire, the screws, and a tarp to cover the tools as I'm working. Total cost under 200 so far. I'm hoping to keep it there!

84637_dscf4721.jpg

This is with the front of the coop portion framed. The idea is for the ladies to use the window for their entrance. The door next to it will be for human access to get eggs, clean etc...

84637_dscf4722.jpg

Any thoughts or obvious glaring mistakes I've made so far? This is my first attempt at building anything bigger than a doghouse (and it collapsed after about 2 months) so please tell me if I've missed something I should have noticed!!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
No mistakes that I see, one suggestion, When using metal for building every screw adds strength, you might want to put a 2 tek screw at each joint of the trampoline frame, and screw all cross members where its possible, It will take out most if not all of the give and flexing of the frame.

I really like this idea, and my kids are now in desperate need of a new trampoline:^}

This is an awesome idea for a tractor!!!! Good thinking! I need a tractor for my girls now that their run is nothing but dirt. I have seen so many tramp frames out at the road.... Thanks for the idea!

Somebody else on here had a trampoline frame tractor. I think they used top rails from chain link fence to connect the halves of the hoop. Great idea for recycling materials

Back
Top Bottom