Transgender chicken???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GirlieChick, Nov 3, 2010.

1. GirlieChick

GirlieChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Okay I have a chicken who I thought was a hen the whole time. Well today I noticed that she has spurs going on her legs. She lays eggs and the rooster "does" her like he would. Lol
    She has a comb and wottle just like a rooster and I didnt think anything of it until I noticed shes growing spurs. Does anyone if its possible to have a transgender chicken???

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's fairly common for hens to grow spurs.

3. GirlieChick

Apr 30, 2010
    Is it common for a hen to have a comb and wattle like a rooster though??

4. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have a hen that crows!

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Depending on the breed, hens can have combs and wattles that grow quite large.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Andalusians, Leghorns, Anconas, Minorcas, Sex Links, even some Barred Rocks and Production Reds can have very large combs and waddles.

And yes, hens can have spurs.

7. GirlieChick

Apr 30, 2010
    Okay, I didnt know that! Thanks for the help. =]

8. GirlieChick

Apr 30, 2010
    Her name is still Lady Gaga tho! Lol

9. Fluffforager

Fluffforager New Egg

Jan 24, 2014
    We had a 10 year old Welsummer hen that laid very well throughout her egg-laying days. Those beautiful dark brown eggs. She was our only Welsummer, so we knew she was laying. At about 8 years old her comb and wattles started to grow. At about 9 she started to grow spurs. At 10, she started to crow an adolescent-like crow, very funny sounding, but definitely a crow. She died of old age when the weather started getting very cold. Here is a picture of when she was 1 and when she was 10.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. AzaleaParkFarm

AzaleaParkFarm New Egg

Oct 30, 2012
    I have a Buff Laced Polish hen that looks exactly like the other two in every respect except she has a massive wattle... the other two don't have much of anything. I get lots of white eggs, I'm fairly sure she's laying... but this morning, I was woken up by crowing! She's over a year old now... it happens fairly often in the human world... something like 1 of of 100 births are non-binary. I think that my 'hen' is like this. She's just a bit of both. I just hope she can't fertilize the other hens. I doubt it, I haven't seen any hanky panky going on.. :) But it will be fun to see how she matures further.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by