transgendered Buff Orp?

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
2983_frito-_img_1560.jpg

This is Frito. I'm pretty sure she's a girl, although there have been zilcho eggs popping out of her little tushie. She is 21 weeks old.

2983_dorito-_img_1556.jpg

This is Dorito. I thought she was a girl, but her comb and wattles are HUGE compared to Frito's. They're about half the size of Cheeto the Rooster's (don't have a pic handy of the boy). Cheeto the rooster has been crowing for about a month. Dorito the whoknowswhat has never crowed or acted in any way shape or form like a rooster, although she is pretty high up in the pecking order. Dorito is also 21 weeks old. What is Dorito?

edited to add:
2983_garden-_img_1562.jpg

Both chickens are about half the size of the one I know to be a rooster.

Last edited:
Dorito is a hen. my hens looked the same at 21 weeks.they didn't start laying untill they were about 24 to 25 weeks. had one hen i could have sworn was a roo but turned out to be a hen also.
CHICKENHOUSE036.jpg

I wish I had a photo of Abbie and Queenie, my two BO hens. Queenie has a huge comb like Dorito, Abbie's is much smaller (for that matter Abbie is much smaller overall than Queenie, Queenie is one huge hen!). Their brother, Stumpy, is just a bit larger than Queenie, but not by much! He doesn't mess with her at all
smile.png

They both look like girls to me. It is not unusual for them to take more than 20 weeks to start laying. Especially during the time when daylight is becoming less and less. Give em time, they will kick in soon.

Jody

Your Dorito looks alot like my Cissy who is a buff orpington hen. She also had me worried that she was a rooster until she started to squat.

Whew! I was starting to get worried.
Although I'm beginning to think my girls are just messing with my head. There are never going to lay eggs.
Brats...

You missed your calling Anne with the photography!! Your pictures are always clear and bright and your scenery is gorgeous!! Your chickens aren't half bad either, loL!!!
wink.png

I have buffs too. Frito is CLEARLY not ready to lay eggs yet. Her comb will look just like the others when she is. I have two that are now 30 weeks and one that is only supposed to be 22 weeks that just started laying this week. My other 22 week old looks just like Frito and no eggs. I think the person I bought them from was wrong about their ages when I got them.

Back
Top Bottom