transitioning a bird from heatlamp to no heatlamp

gretamae

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Ann Arbor
My aunt wants me to take a hen of hers (plymouth rock I believe, about 3 years old) because her other hen died, and this one's all alone now. But she's had the hen in a coop with a heat lamp, which I don't have. I'm in Michigan, and it's been single digits lately, so I'm not planning on bringing her home yet since I'm worried she won't be able to adjust to the cold.

Here's my question: should I wait until spring? Or is it enought to just wait until the highs are above freezing again? I've heard that chickens can die if the power goes out and they loose their heat source, which is one reason I've chosen to not use a heat lamp. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks in advance!

I'd bring it on when the temps are going to be above freezing for a few days so she adjusts. That is the way I moved chicks I hatched in October to the outdoors. I first started taking them out on days when it was above freezing and bring them indoors and then when there were a few days in the 40's, I let them stay out & they did fine. I agree with you, she can't just go from a heated place to below freezing as it will be a shock to her.

Back
Top Bottom