Transitioning chicks from a heat lamp to a heat plate--Did I do it okay?

Sunshine_Amy

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
Western Mass
Hey everyone. Just doing a safety check on this transition before retiring for the night. I introduced a heat plate a couple of days ago, with the heat lamp still on. My 2 and 3 week old chicks have explored it, mainly by sitting on top of it (it's slightly warm on top). I saw one explore underneath it for a minute or so, so I know at least one knows that it's warm underneath. I've now got the heat lamp off, and they're all nestled down together, as they usually do for the night, only closer together, and not with any supplemental heat (since they're not under the pad yet). Our house is 73 degrees F. No one is shivering and they all seem calm, just huddled extra close. Does this sound like a successful transition, or do you think it's possible that they've not yet figured out the heat pad, or I have it too low for their comfort or something? I'm planning on leaving them for the night like this, but thought I'd double check with you all first.

Last edited:
P.S. I purchased the (gimmicky but irresistible) "comfort feathers" that go around the brooder, kind of like a hula skirt. My kids and I agreed that the girls are getting a bit big for such a thing, but I want to move them outside this weekend and thought the skirt would reduce air flow and chill. Anyway, I just got it in the mail today, so that part is new. Maybe I should take it off?

Last edited:
I also have 2 week olds in the mix. Yes, outside lows still drop into the 50s, and forecast says all the way down to 50 on Saturday. I won't move them out until I'm confident that they're using the heat pad successfully.

P.S. I purchased the (gimmicky but irresistible) "comfort feathers" that go around the brooder, kind of like a hula skirt. My kids and I agreed that the girls are getting a bit big for such a thing, but I want to move them outside this weekend and thought the skirt would reduce air flow and chill. Anyway, I just got it in the mail today, so that part is new. Maybe I should take it off?
I would return that, if you haven't used it yet. Very gimmicky and not needed.

Since it's 73F in the house I wouldn't be surprised if they don't use the heating plate at all, even the 2 week olds.

Back
Top Bottom