Transitioning from roofed to roofless run

Pics
I had a large patio umbrella over part of my run for the better part of the summer. I had it set through the wire across the top of my run, and tied to a 4x4 post buried in the ground. Unfortunately the first big wind that came absolutely sent the darn thing sailing across the backyard. It broke in half. So try extra hard to secure it to something. Better than I did I guess.

He's pushing the town to change the rules and make chickens harder to keep. So I rallied a bunch of other chicken keepers and the Health Department (whose rules he's trying to change) was absolutely flooded with letters of support from my army. They showed up at the (virtual) town meeting last night and bulldozed him. The HD has spent the summer rewriting the rules to make it perfectly clear that chickens are not regulated, and now he's throwing a fit. The Board of Health is set to vote next week to accept the rule revisions (that make it clear chickens are not to be regulated). So I'll be biting my nails for another week and hope they pass it.

He knew about the chickens when he moved in, and was actually fine with them for a while. Then something happened and he changed course completely. I never found out what (nothing on my end). At the town meetings, he denied that he was ever okay with it, effectively calling me a liar. I have no idea what happened, but he has ruined my summer (and fall).
Good for you and your fellow chicken owners! I was about to write a post suggesting just the thing you did when I saw this. We had a similar incident where I live when and aquaculture business put a small light on the raft of mussel farm to alert boats at night that it was there. The 'new guy in town' complained that the light could be seen from the window of the master bedroom in the guest cottage of his estate. Local citizens rose up in support of the aquaculture owner and basically told the guy if he didn't want to see the light he should not built his house in the middle of a working waterfront. Total support from the town officers for the light.

View attachment 2385162
This is what I have covering my chicken run (10' x 20'). It is light weight plastic and comes in dark green or black. It's held on by wire ties. As I sit here looking out the window at the run, I can hardly tell that anything is covering it. The only problem I have ever had with it is that is sags under a heavy load of snow and catches leaves. But you really have to be looking for it to see it. Comes in rolls and is very easy to work with. That's my suggestion if you want to be nice. I would be tempted to put up a very colorful flowered beach umbrella if my neighbor's complained. But I may have a bad attitude.
Like your attidude.. I placed a center pole with a sidewall from an old tire on the top of the post. Where I tie rope or attach cheap cargo straps so as to snug as needed.. Beware of heavy winter wet sticky snow.. It pulled down one whole side of fence posts.. I forgot to knock it off.. oops. Knock it off.. but keep the attitude.

Good for you and your fellow chicken owners! I was about to write a post suggesting just the thing you did when I saw this. We had a similar incident where I live when and aquaculture business put a small light on the raft of mussel farm to alert boats at night that it was there. The 'new guy in town' complained that the light could be seen from the window of the master bedroom in the guest cottage of his estate. Local citizens rose up in support of the aquaculture owner and basically told the guy if he didn't want to see the light he should not built his house in the middle of a working waterfront. Total support from the town officers for the light.
EXCELLENT..

He will be checking on it, yes, and he found out about it because my neighbor complained - to zoning, to the Health Department, to the town administrator, city council... maybe more, I don't know. He's waging full on war against me and has been wasting town resources on 5 chickens...
Most of my ideas have been mentioned but I want to mention constitutional amendment. In Florida, the citizens proposed and passed a constitutional amendment to protect pigs. PIGS! IT is unlawful to pen a sow so close she cannot turn around. Petition for a chicken: a constitutional amendment to protect chickens.

I built a "roof" with pvc pipe and that welded wire mesh. It works great! I have some vines that are growing over the top for shade. The chickens have a hutch and the food area is covered as well. I make sure there is plenty of hay when we have wet weather.

Attachments

• 20170529_182058.jpg
    20170529_182058.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom