Transitioning from roofed to roofless run

Pics
Whoa! Bright indeed! A beacon of chickenness. It's awesome!

I wasn't able to find the Christmas photos on your website, but I enjoyed looking through your other pictures and projects. Beautiful! That coop with the curtains and the seed packet flags is adorable! I love old houses and the old house feel and aesthetic. Reminds me of my childhood. I would love to see your Christmas decor as well!

Our 13th annual Christmastide photo Gallery is UP!! I hope you enjoy it and that it brings some cheer to everyone who visits! Here is the direct link!

https://www.thecountryladyantiques.com/products-gone.php

I encountered this thread a few minutes ago for the first time (how is that possible) . It must be awful to have such neighbours @K0k0shka and I surely sympathise. :hugs

Thanks for the extra info in you're 1st post . It made it possible for me skip most posts. The open run (with hwc) is not bad imo as you found out yourself already. But hiding and sheltered places are a must have to keep the chickens happy and healthy imo.

If I was in you’re shoes (Dutch expression) I would ignore the neighbour completely. And I wouldn’t try to pester him with a funny Xmas rooster or whatever you can make up to annoy him. Leave it be or things might get worse. But don’t accept it if he tries to interfere more than he may according to your city/county rules.

I had a friend who had trouble like you had . Both not giving in , the pestering accumulated. One day when they came back from holliday, a beautiful willow tree in their garden was taken down. They had no proof the neighbour did it. So they had to let it go. They did install a camera after that and this helped but the nasty relation didn’t resolve. Finally they had the opportunity to buy a more beautiful house somewhere else and this ended all their misery.

Some random ideas for you’re run:
  • You can plant more bushes inside the run (hwc around to protect them the 1th year)
  • Make a small roof construction at 2-4’ above the ground (this is not a roof) for great shelter purposes
  • Make a grass and herb garden inside the run within a frame and cover it with hwc to prevent that the chickens scratch the roots.
  • Add at least one good camera focussed on the run and coop.
  • make a few deep holes and fill them with pebbles/gravel were you have water stagnating

Edit: last idea + spelling

Last edited:
I encountered this thread a few minutes ago for the first time (how is that possible) . It must be awful to have such neighbours @K0k0shka and I surely sympathise. :hugs

Thanks for the extra info in you're 1st post . It made it possible for me skip most posts. The open run (with hwc) is not bad imo as you found out yourself already. But hiding and sheltered places are a must have to keep the chickens happy and healthy imo.

If I was in you’re shoes (Dutch expression) I would ignore the neighbour completely. And I wouldn’t try to pester him with a funny Xmas rooster or whatever you can make up to annoy him. Leave it be or things might get worse. But don’t accept it if he tries to interfere more than he may according to your city/county rules.

I had a friend who had trouble like you had . Both not giving in , the pestering accumulated. One day when they came back from holliday, a beautiful willow tree in their garden was taken down. They had no proof the neighbour did it. So they had to let it go. They did install a camera after that and this helped but the nasty relation didn’t resolve. Finally they had the opportunity to buy a more beautiful house somewhere else and this ended all their misery.

Some random ideas for you’re run:
  • You can plant more bushes inside the run (hwc around to protect them the 1th year)
  • Make a small roof construction at 2-4’ above the ground (this is not a roof) for great shelter purposes
  • Make a grass and herb garden inside the run within a frame and cover it with hwc to prevent that the chickens scratch the roots.
  • Add at least one good camera focussed on the run and coop.
  • make a few deep holes and fill them with pebbles/gravel were you have water stagnating

Edit: last idea + spelling
You really need to read all the posts. A lot of what you said has already been covered and the outcome has been determined. As for the rooster, this is a Christmas decoration that the OP purchased, (it's adorable by the way). The family, especially the children, love it. They should most definitely put it up where and as planned. IF the neighbor is annoyed so be it. After all the OP has gone through, a teeny bit of a dig as a residual result of the decoration is not out of line. Besides, it's already been made clear that EVERY SINGLE THING annoys this neighbor, who can't seem to get along with anyone in the area and has vehemently tried to get all chickens outlawed (and failed). Completely disagree that the OP should NOT put up their rooster and cave to this neighbor who obviously has issues and is impossible to please no matter what. It's also not the OPs responsibility to do so, especially under the circumstances! It's an innocent decoration, Cripes Alfrighty!

Last edited:
I have to say... I like the floor of the run better now that it has no roof. Before, it used to always be incredibly dry. Which, in general, is a good thing. However, it was also very very dusty... especially when the chickens were actively scratching or dust-bathing. Everything was covered with a thick layer of dust, including and especially the poor bush that's in there. Over the summer, I had to periodically hose it down so it could breathe. But now, the ground is pleasantly moist, and the thick layer of organic matter on the floor looks like it's starting to compost, finally. And I've noticed that the chickens will eat random organic matter like bits of fallen leaves or blades of hay left over from the summer lawn mowings, if it has been moistened and softened by water first. So, more things for them to eat and a better scratching experience. Silver linings!
Here is our hen up for the holidays! We really want to see your lighted roo. I also put photos of the cute gingerbread chicken coop we made with a kit from TS!

chicklit7.jpg

gingercoop5.jpg

gingercoop6.jpg

Hi Kokoshka,
Have you put up your Christmas roo yet? I know a lot of us would love to see it!!! Please post photos here if you can.
I haven’t had a chance to put the rooster up yet. Lots to do, plus it’s been raining a lot... However, I got more lights to go along with the rooster - string lights to put all around the run, and a lighted wreath for the run door. It’s gonna be one decked out chicken mansion! 😄 I promise to post pictures as soon as I put everything up.

I just want to point out that
I haven’t had a chance to put the rooster up yet. Lots to do, plus it’s been raining a lot... However, I got more lights to go along with the rooster - string lights to put all around the run, and a lighted wreath for the run door. It’s gonna be one decked out chicken mansion! 😄 I promise to post pictures as soon as I put everything up.
:pop

Here is our hen up for the holidays! We really want to see your lighted roo. I also put photos of the cute gingerbread chicken coop we made with a kit from TS!

View attachment 2428477

View attachment 2428478

View attachment 2428479
The hen is beautiful! I love the hat. And your gingerbread coop is so cute! What a great idea. I may need to borrow it and make a gingerbread coop, too! I made a gingerbread replica of our house once. Maybe I can make one of our coop, too!

Back
Top Bottom