NomNomDerp

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2023
We have a six week old flock that we've been brooding in our basement. It's a fairly cool basement that get's a bit of air conditioning in the finished parts. Brooding has been fine and they've done just fine with the heat lamp. It's taken me a while to get our coop/run built. But I think the coop is finally ready for them to go out.

My concern is that we're expecting to see mid-90's to 104, here in Kansas City, in the coming week and a half. It's super humid here too. I'm pretty nervous to just plop them out there in this upcoming heat and humidity. The coop is well ventilated and no drafts. Moving to the garage first isn't a good option, because it's very stuffy in there and can feel even hotter.

Should I wait and see if the heat breaks? Or should I just plop them out there and make sure they have enough cold water (add ice)?

What I'd do is take them outside for little trips, and do that more and more, then put them outside eventually.
They'd probably be fine just putting them out now, but if you're a bit nervous about that slowly adjust them to outside.

Back
Top Bottom