Transportation Ideas needed

KARy408

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Livermore, CA
Well, it's on...One of our girls appears to have a fairly severe case of bumble foot, and we don't feel comfortable operating on her ourselves, so I'm off to the vet tomorrow.

Luckily we live somewhat close to a medical center for birds, but it's going to be about a 2 hour drive. It's still getting into the 90's here by day, so I'm concerned about the toll the ride will take on her. She hasn't been in the car since she was picked up as a day old hatchling in the spring.

What's the best way to transport a sick/wary duck? I have an extra large size wire mesh style dog crate, and then a mid/smaller sized travel crate as well. What's the best way to keep her comfortable? Will she need water during the ride? Food? How do I keep it from spilling everywhere? Should I try to wrap her feet or what's the best way to keep them/her clean during transport?

Any thoughts appreciated! I'm such a nervous mama right now!

I took my four girls in a Rubbermaid tub without the top on it. I brought favorite treats with me and a helper. No issues and no escape attempts.

If you are putting her in the car, I'd say a wire crate could get pretty messy in a back seat. And really stinky. We have a cap on the bed of our pickup and put them in a travel kennel for the ride. All our ducks come from a shelter that is almost 2 hours away. We have had to transport in the summer when it really hot. They did fine. Yes, they are stressed when they get home, but they rebound quickly. We have done it with a total of 17 ducks over the years and all have been okay after the riding. We don't put water or food in for the riding. BUt then again, none have been sick when we have transported them. But bumble foot is not exactly a sickness (though it is serious), so I think yours will be fine. JMO

I have transported ducks in a cat crate. At times they very upset. I also transported them in pillow cases. One per pillow case. In the pillow case they remained quiet and docile. They were sitting down the whole trip. In the cat crate they stood up and curves made they tumble around.

Thanks for the tips everyone! Funny about the pillowcases! I never would have thought of that!

It all went pretty well overall. I used the smaller crate, padded it up with towels, and wedge her into the middle back seat where she could still see me. I think she actually liked it in there! No food or water but I packed a spray bottle so I could mist her down whenever she looked a little hot.

The ride went fine (aside from a bit of kale that came back up on a twisty stretch--so weird!) and the vets all fell in love with her; funny how ducks have such winning personalities! I learned a TON about Bumblefoot, weight maintence, even my run setup! If anyone out there reads this and is debating a trip to the vet at all, I highly recommend it!

Thanks for the tips everyone! Funny about the pillowcases! I never would have thought of that!

It all went pretty well overall. I used the smaller crate, padded it up with towels, and wedge her into the middle back seat where she could still see me. I think she actually liked it in there! No food or water but I packed a spray bottle so I could mist her down whenever she looked a little hot.

The ride went fine (aside from a bit of kale that came back up on a twisty stretch--so weird!) and the vets all fell in love with her; funny how ducks have such winning personalities! I learned a TON about Bumblefoot, weight maintence, even my run setup! If anyone out there reads this and is debating a trip to the vet at all, I highly recommend it!
Maybe you can share some of the things you learned. glad to hear the trip went well and she was a hit.

Back
Top Bottom