Transporting adult poultry for long distances..how do I do it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by IttyBiddyRedHen, Mar 17, 2017.

1. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    I am considering moving myself from SC to MO. I will be driving. Most likely a U-Haul truck. Is it possible to transport a small flock of birds in the back of one of these?
    Is there any way to find out state statutes per transporting poultry?
    I know people do it, for show purposes. I just am considering it for relocation.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I dont do it myself but I see people doing it for show (and I realize that isnt what youre doing) but they usually have open windows for airflow (but not too much as to chill the birds unless its nice warm weather) and if I remember properly a U-Haul doesnt have windows or openings :( They usually transport them in these kind of containers or large dog kennels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I would be very careful of heat and ventilation. Enclosed vehicles can get very hot quickly, and many are tight to keep out rain. Chickens can have a hard time with heat. Traveling at night would help with that. Also a nipple waterer would be best.

You should call the sheriff 's department about transporting domestic animals across state lines. They should know the rules or who to talk to, but it is quite possible that you will need shipping papers and maybe a veterinary inspection.

Mrs K

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    First make certain you are up in requirements with the Missouri Department of Agriculture.

http://agriculture.mo.gov/animals/health/

Animal Health Division
    Phone: (573) 751-3377
    Email: [email protected]
    About the Division
    Division Staff
    District Maps
    Diagnostic Labs

Ventilation needs to be high. From this point on in 2017 do not worry about cold for birds more than 1/2 grown in good feather. In addition to what is mentioned, I would make so birds can stand on ice in transport container.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by