Transporting Baby Chicks by Car - Question

ASteelman

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK, USA
Hi, I will be transporting some day old chicks to a customer tomorrow. I plan to use a small cardboard box with holes for air, similar to how chicks are mailed. They will be traveling a few hours overall.

I'm mainly wondering what you would stuff the box with - I have access to shredded copy paper at my work but I wonder if that is somehow unsafe for them. Just wanting some material to help them insulate, huddled together.

Hi, I will be transporting some day old chicks to a customer tomorrow. I plan to use a small cardboard box with holes for air, similar to how chicks are mailed. They will be traveling a few hours overall.

I'm mainly wondering what you would stuff the box with - I have access to shredded copy paper at my work but I wonder if that is somehow unsafe for them. Just wanting some material to help them insulate, huddled together.
I think I would use old T shirts. They'd probably try to eat the paper.

Towels and old Tshirts both work great.

Do you have your paperwork??? If you are crossing state lines, and doing it legally, chances are you need a 9-3 form (at minimum). Are you an NPIP participant?
I'm not crossing state lines, this customer is traveling most of the way to me from a city across our state. I'm not NPIP yet but it is something I want to do, in order to be able to ship hatching eggs.

Towels are also a great idea, how did I not think of that?? Thank you.

Happy to have been able to help. I use towels in the brooder box all the time - in part to keep them from getting behind my heat plate. If you are concerned about heat (not this time of year, I know - but on other occasions) you can fill a large sock with rice and microwave it. Big thick wool leg socks work best. Will hold heat for a while.

Strongly recommend, if you represent as a breeder, that you get NPIP certified. Honestly, I sell shell eggs almost entirely, but FL makes testing for NPIP free (one of the few things this state does right - so given the cost, I'm eager for the opportunity to get a little surety about the health of my flock). Certification will also allow you to expand your (legal) market, by letting you cross state lines for clients.

/edit Full disclosure, I'm not normally the pro-regulation type, but NPIP is voluntary. The risk of cross state disease transmission is so high, the costs of it reaching commercial flocks beyond the resources of the typical hobbyists, that this is a place where I've concluded (for myself) that the regulatory line is reasonable given the totality of circumstances. You of course are welcome to reach a differing conclusion.

Last edited:
Happy to have been able to help. I use towels in the brooder box all the time - in part to keep them from getting behind my heat plate. If you are concerned about heat (not this time of year, I know - but on other occasions) you can fill a large sock with rice and microwave it. Big thick wool leg socks work best. Will hold heat for a while.

Strongly recommend, if you represent as a breeder, that you get NPIP certified. Honestly, I sell shell eggs almost entirely, but FL makes testing for NPIP free (one of the few things this state does right - so given the cost, I'm eager for the opportunity to get a little surety about the health of my flock). Certification will also allow you to expand your (legal) market, by letting you cross state lines for clients.

/edit Full disclosure, I'm not normally the pro-regulation type, but NPIP is voluntary. The risk of cross state disease transmission is so high, the costs of it reaching commercial flocks beyond the resources of the typical hobbyists, that this is a place where I've concluded (for myself) that the regulatory line is reasonable given the totality of circumstances. You of course are welcome to reach a differing conclusion.
I will definitely get NPIP certified when the time comes, I just feel I am not there yet. I am very much small time, only have 19 adult birds currently. Once I feel ready to expand, then I would want to be able to ship eggs or have customers from Texas, or wherever. For now I'm actually happy to be limited to local business, it keeps me from getting in over my head.

In Oklahoma it's a $25 fee annually, which is not terrible. I think the terrible part for me would be the stranger coming to my home and testing all the birds. I'm a very private person. But I agree it's a great program because I care very much about biosecurity.

I will definitely get NPIP certified when the time comes, I just feel I am not there yet. I am very much small time, only have 19 adult birds currently. Once I feel ready to expand, then I would want to be able to ship eggs or have customers from Texas, or wherever. For now I'm actually happy to be limited to local business, it keeps me from getting in over my head.

In Oklahoma it's a $25 fee annually, which is not terrible. I think the terrible part for me would be the stranger coming to my home and testing all the birds. I'm a very private person. But I agree it's a great program because I care very much about biosecurity.
Understand and appreciate. Had the same concerns myself last year. Finially took the plunge this spring. Very best to you!

Back
Top Bottom