Transporting chickens by car

You have cat carriers, that's very good. But I would not recommend offering water at rest stops. The birds will already be stressed and trying to get water into the carrier may allow someone to escape. Not a good thing. In a cool air conditioned car they can easily go for 8 hours without water. However, they could warm up a bit if their carriers are in the sun so to offer fruit, especially watermellon, would be a good idea. Especially during the last half of the drive. Congratulations on your new birds!

Eh....escapees.
lol.png
Didn't think of that. I'll get some fruit. Can't hurt, might help. A few of you have recommended that. Sounds good.

Llysse--yes, I'm afraid of coming home with more than the trio I intend to get! I can usually depend on the husband to be the voice of reason in these situations (he didn't even want chickens, originally). But...the way he so willingly put together a beautiful new chicken tractor for the new birds, and the way he so willingly agreed to drive with me a ridiculous distance to get the new birds...I'm afraid I've got him hooked, too....mmwwwaaahaaahaaahaaa (that's my evil cackle).
lol.png
You're only 45 minutes away, that's no big deal to go back and get a few more chicks when you feel the need...
smile.png
I'll let you know how the trip goes.

Thanks for all of the great info everyone. I'm always learning something here!

Well, you're probably all going to be stressed by the end of the trip. YOU might be more stressed than your new babies, just worried about how stressed THEY are.

th.gif

I know I was.
smile.png
But it sounds like you've got everything under control... and just think how much nicer it will be for them riding with you all than it would be going through a shipping company.
big_smile.png

The new chickens are home! And all are doing great!!

I ended up getting young birds, 5 weeks old. I was going to go w/adult birds...but the little ones were too irresistable!! I did stick to my plan to just get two pullets and one roo. I was very proud of myself for that.
lol.png

The ride was fine for them. They were definitely stressed by the ride, as I expected, but they perked up very quickly once we got them home and settled in. They weren't interested in anything for moisture the entire ride, which worried me...but after they were in their tractor for about 15 minutes or so, they "snapped out of it" and started scratching and pecking around, and then they all drank their fill (I was very relieved to see them drink! That was my biggest worry). We moved their tractor outside (it's been in the barn) yesterday, on the grass...I don't think they've ever been outside. They were so happy in the grass!!

So, overall, good trip, and the chicks are happy and healthy. Thanks for all of the great tips!! Once I get some good pictures (camera wouldn't cooperate yesterday when I was trying to take pics) I'm going to post them. Of course, I'm biased, but they are definitely the cutest things ever!

Hooray!

wee.gif

I'm so glad the trip went well, and that the birds are okay. I'll be looking for your pictures (because I'll want to see what my little girl will look like in a couple weeks
big_smile.png
)

One of the methods I have used for taking chickens back and forth on my 10 hour drives between home and my brother's in NC is to get plastic totes from Wal mart and cut out ventilation panels in the sides and tie wire in to the spaces. You can get them in appropriate sizes to fit in the car and even get them stackable. If you put the cutouts/wire up enough, then the shavings don't all get scraped out into the car.

I've done the offering water at breaks, but I've never had any of the birds drink. It is a long time without water, but they have always made it ok as long as they had plenty when they arrived, and plenty of ventilation. I have actually had to travel with birds in totes in the trunk, but I laid the seat down so the air conditioning would circulate through the trunk, too. That also worked.

Just leave the windows cracked a bit and expect strange looks at drive throughs.

Jen
www.thehatchingpost.com

Using totes like that sounds like a good idea! With the right amount of ventilation, it wouldn't be any different than the cat carriers....but a lot cheaper than buying those things! I borrowed carriers this time, but if I am ever transporting birds on a more regular basis, those converted totes sound like a good idea....

lol.png
I don't mind the strange looks. That's just entertaining. And any looks any of us get over having a few chickens in the car can't be as strange as the look I must have had on my face when I passed this lady driving down the highway a couple of weeks ago....she had an advertisement for her business on the side of her car. She apparently did those "adult" parties....and, um, she was travelling w/all of her supplies in clear plastic totes in the back of her car.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom