Transporting Chickens

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
What is the best way to transport chickens? In the spring I will be giving friends a Mama with 1-2 week or older chicks, a few pullets and a rooster. The friends are 5 hours away and we would pack them up in the afternoon, 2-3pm, and driving until we arrive. What would be the best way to transport them? I was thinking rubbermaid totes with holes in the sides or cardboard boxes large enough for them to stand in.

I used the big lidded plastic containers, with large holes cut in the sides and tops. I lined them with straw. They'll be better if you can put them somewhere dark, but still well ventilated and cool. In fact, if I move chickens again, I'll do it after dusk when they're easy to catch while roosting and will just go back to sleep in the car.

How do you keep them from rolling and sliding around the seat? It seems alot of work for them to still get hurt in a short distance ride.veey short distance
I saw this!
This photo is actually from when hurricane Irma hit Key West. Some good samaritan did this to rescue the local feral chickens in an emergency.

I'm following this thread so that I can be a responsible chicken owner & not have to resort to that because I didn't have a plan! :rolleyes:

I saw this photo of the birds wrapped in newspaper and my first thought was, "Wow, that is thinking outside of the box."

Loved the article about Monique, will be following them on facebook and marinetraffic.com. At the end of Sept. they were in the San Francisco area. We are lake sailors and when I showed this article to my husband he gave me his "don't even think about it" look. I guess we really don't need more bird crap to clean off the deck! :D

This summer I bought an Omlet Go Up with run from a woman in Minneapolis, 4 chickens came with the deal. We live about 2 hours south so we just loaded the birds in the Go Up, strapped it securely in the back of the PU and went hurtling down the interstate. The birds arrived at their new home with nary a feather out of place.

Everyone one says dog crates. I moved mine 3 hours away in a uhaul with them in cardboard boxes. Make sure they have ventilation and don't get too hot. It's best to move them really early or late in day. I also moved a group of 6 inside there coop. Just made sure coop was secure and nothing but them were it. No losses and hens didn't even stop laying so must've not been too stressful for them.

Good suggestions.

I would only add to put in apple slices. When you stop (and with a 1.75 person in the car, chances are you will for a diaper change), they may take some time to refresh with the apple slices.

My daughter and SIL transported 5 birds across the US in the back of a trailer (partitioned off). The apple slices work really well.

LofMc

1044.jpeg.jpg
:lol::lol::lol:

Me too!
We kept researching different coops but all the wooden ones looked totally beaten up after 1 year! Figured it was all the rain here in Oregon.

But chicken math is definitely catching up with me!! We need more room. Working on renovation some plastic kids playhouses to add.
Send pix of your setup! Would love to see!

Here are pictures of the WIR. @aart had a neat idea to use mulch, leaves and grass clippings in the run so I have a 4" layer of cypress mulch. When the chicks get that spread out I will put more mulch and then the leaves down. This is a work in progress.

This winter I will wrap the N and West side with contractor's plastic. The run is anchored so we will see about the wind. Here are some pics from today.
WIR.jpg
WIR2.jpg
WIR3.jpg
WIR4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom