1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Transporting Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by franko, Dec 4, 2007.

1. franko

franko Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    I live in Hunt, Tx and am going to Port O'connor Tx in Dec. I will be there till March. I will hatch chicks, grow out and have them in a coop before March. I need help on how to transport them back to Hunt. I have a 10' trailer and pickup. It's about 270 miles one way. Any suggestions on what I can put them in? I will have about twenty RR's.[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Several dog crates in the bed of the truck would work well, I wouldn't want to put them on the trailer.

3. bluerose

bluerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Agree on the dog crates with lots of bedding for them and water stops [​IMG]

4. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Dog crates is the way to go. you could also put chunks of watermelon in to help keep them hydrated, & save having to stop so often to water.

[​IMG]

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Seems like everyone else has already posted what I was going to post.........That's a good thing..............just shows we all agree! Pet carriers are the way to go.

6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    That is what we use in the back of pickup to transport Shows. it works well. Keeps massive amounts of wind off of them and protects them from the sun yet has ventilation

7. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    if you can't afford pet carriers for that many chickens, i have used those very large plastic storage containers from wmart with holes poked in the lid. i have been able to transport three that got along well in the same container before. i have also transported two geese, again that got along well, in the same container. these were all full grown. if they are young and small, you could probably get more in a container. if they are cranky and big, less. i think i would put roosters in them by themselves. i think i paid about five dollars each for the containers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by