Transporting new hens

Bonescanner

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2018
Rookie question here. Going pick up 4 young hens about an hour an a half from home. My pickup has a tri fold cover, meaning when folded open it still has about 2 foot cover close to the cab. I was planning on using a wire dog crate and strapping it under that piece of cover next to the cab. Any advice on if this will work?

I have used a wire dog crate to transport birds before. Mine had a plastic tray in the bottom. I found the birds would slide around when I went around corners and such because they had not traction on the plastic. I recommend putting an old towel in the bottom of the crate so they have some traction and don't slide into the bars.

Thanks. I plan on putting a towel and some straw. I was just a little worried about the wind in the bed of the truck

Thanks. I plan on putting a towel and some straw. I was just a little worried about the wind in the bed of the truck
I would be too....cover the whole bed?
I'm sure it's not air tight, is it, so they wouldn't suffocate??
Wonder what the air flow would be if cover was 1/3 or 2/3 open?
Could be drastic.

I hadn’t thought about keeping the cover closed. I could do that and leave the tailgate down.

Rookie question here. Going pick up 4 young hens about an hour an a half from home. My pickup has a tri fold cover, meaning when folded open it still has about 2 foot cover close to the cab. I was planning on using a wire dog crate and strapping it under that piece of cover next to the cab. Any advice on if this will work?
If you mean young as being new born's, they can fit in a shoe box and have tons of space. If you have the ability, put them in a Staples Paper box with holes, a towel on the bottom, some food. Being in the back could be too much wind chilling them. It would be good to have water, but that's a challenge regardless if they are in the back or front seat in a box.

I'd use 2 file boxes, with a towel, or some Rubbermaid textured shelving liner. They sell the liner at the Dollar Store, and it's not expensive. 2 hens per box, and put them in the cab, not in the back. Punch holes in the tops, because those boxes can get very warm inside. Doing it that way, keeps them from sliding around, and getting hurt. Yes, I used to transport in dog crates with the plastic on the bottom. I don't anymore.

Back
Top Bottom