Transporting

When I got my first breeding trio, it was the first time I had transported chickens any real distance. The breeder I got them from, transported them from the next state over, in cardboard boxes. I have to admit, I sort of looked down my nose at the thought of transporting them in boxes. I had bought a nice big dog crate to transport them in, so they would have some room. How little I knew about transporting chickens back then.

Boxes are one of the better ways to transport chickens. Why? When you stop, and start, especially if you have to brake a bit hard, the chickens slide around in a larger container, and can get injured. There is less room to slide in a box. If they do happen to slide, the side of the box is much less likely to injure them. Another reason is lighting. The lighting is subdued, keeping them calmer on the journey. I like the banker/file boxes best. I use a smaller sized hole saw, and put holes all around, and in the lid of the boxes, for plenty of air circulation, and so they don't overheat.

For water, and feed, while you're drilling the holes in the side, take 2 disposable plastic cups (I prefer the 16 oz. ones). Cut the sides down a little on one of the cups, so it will hold some water, but not be too close to the lid of the box, then set it in the box, in the corner. Mark the box where the top of the cup is, with a little dot, or line, on BOTH sides of the corner. Then take your hole saw, and drill a hole so that the bottom of the hole, lines up with the line, or top of the cup. Repeat on the other side of the corner. This allows you to put a small binder clip in each of the holes, and attach the cup to the box on both sides of the corner, so it doesn't tip over. Now cut down the second cup so it's about 2.5 inches tall. This one will be for feed. Again, mark the box where the top of the cup is, and drill the hole. Secure the cup to the box with a small binder clip through the hole.

Try not to stack anything on the boxes, or the boxes on other boxes. It blocks the ventilation holes, and creates more heat. You may stack the boxes on top of other things, as long as they are stable.

Before you load your flock in the boxes, add feed to the shorter, cut down cup, and fill the water cups about 3/4 of the way to the top. Don't fill the water cups to the top. I find a clean turkey baster works good for this, and will serve you well when refilling the cups, when you're on the road. Be sure to carry a few gallons of water.

About 2 hours into the trip, stop to check on them, and make sure they're not getting too hot. Blot up any spilled water with paper towels. If everything is going fine, check them again every 4 hours. Before sunset, stop and one at a time, open each of the boxes, giving them a minute to stretch their legs, and grab a bit to eat, or drink. Sometimes, with the subdued lighting, and motion, they refrain from eating, or drinking, so allowing them a few minutes opportunity to do so, before they would normally roost, is important. During night hours, as long as they've had water, and feed, you can go through the whole night without stopping.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom