Trapped raccoon

That certainly is a popular method, and can be very efficient & effective. But the folks I know who use drowning are those who live in areas where you cannot discharge a firearm, and they have neighbors who would report hearing the gunshot. They cannot risk that, and feel that stabbing or blunt trauma is not efficient or effective. Drowning isn't their first choice, but they try to make it more efficient by having the barrel pre-filled with the water. They are the ones who tell me that the raccoons struggle for only 30-60 seconds before going limp. They wish it would take even less time, but feel it's the best option available to them.

Quote:
Because there's not a plastic garbage bag strong enough to withstand the teeth & claws of a raccoon, especially one in a panic because it was desperate for air. Kids, don't try this at home!
old.gif

lol.png

I'm with Sunny Side Up on several things, especially falling into the trap (pun intended) of overly anthropomorphizing a predator. If you apply the logic that drowning is not a humane way to kill the raccoon, you must be fair in considering how humanely the raccoon is treating your chicken while chewing on a drumstick of the still-living bird. "Predators may or may not kill their prey prior to feeding on them, but the act of predation always results in the death of its prey."

Around here, I'M the apex predator, and the raccoon who attacks my birds is trapped and killed quickly and efficiently in my prefilled 55-gallon-drum "swimming pool." The carcass then goes on the compost pile that will be used as side dressing on non-edible landscaping plants. I have no problem shooting the pest and have done so in the past, but I've found drowning to be much less messy and easier on ME.

I also heartily agree with cafarmgirl that making your coop a Fort Knox prevents this moral dilemma from occurring at all. And that, at the end of the day, we all must choose the method of killing the predator on our flock that works best for us in our particular situation.

One morning I went out to open the coops and found a hen that had fallen victim to a raccoon. She was so badly chewed that at first I couldn't tell which end was what. Her thigh & side had been eaten out. To my horror, as I looked closer I could see that this poor hen was still breathing!
sad.png

Quote:
No.. it doesnt make me wonder..
it hurts like hell to get fluid in your lungs..

No, it does not.

I am a drowning survivor and KNOWS what it feels like. I can tell you that it is not an unpleasant experience. Yes, I did struggle, at first. Then I was overwhelmed by a feeling of extreme peace and beauty. Everything was just alright. I have to tell you that the rescue was the most unpleasant part of the whole thing. I was actually angry when I regained conscience.

I have no problem,at all, drowning any raccoon I trap.

Removed by Staff. Please review the rules of the Predators and Pests forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I posted about drowning a raccoon,I never thought I would be accused of being a coward for doing what I thought was necessary to protect my flock,I would use whatever means it took to protect my flock as I would my family,I have hunted raccoons for years and I have saw first hand the damage they can do to humans as well as other animals,we do what we have to do,if we got what it takes to do it,if I took a trapped raccoon to a vet and asked them to do away with it they would think I was nuts,no way will they get that close to a live raccoon,nor will I for that matter,Like I stated ,I will do whatever it takes to dispatch a predator,and have no cowardly thoughts about it whatsoever,we do what we have to do,,

Quote:
I posted about drowning a raccoon,I never thought I would be accused of being a coward for doing what I thought was necessary to protect my flock,I would use whatever means it took to protect my flock as I would my family,I have hunted raccoons for years and I have saw first hand the damage they can do to humans as well as other animals,we do what we have to do,if we got what it takes to do it,if I took a trapped raccoon to a vet and asked them to do away with it they would think I was nuts,no way will they get that close to a live raccoon,nor will I for that matter,Like I stated ,I will do whatever it takes to dispatch a predator,and have no cowardly thoughts about it whatsoever,we do what we have to do,,

THats fine.. its your choice. Not mine..
To each their own.. no biggie.

Quote:
most folks I know who trap and dispatch predators could care less what the humane society thinks most judges do not have a problem with folks who are within the boundaries of the law, drowning is only one way to dispatch an animal google "trap drowners" a trap can be rigged so the animal drowns itself it is used daily during most states fur season. The 2 times I have drowned going down did not hurt coming back barking and spitting water hurt a lot it was more like I was just drinking water not breathing it I have been resuscitated twice from drowning.

Back
Top Bottom