Traumatic duck death/ other ducklings lethargic.

They need to be kept inside while sick so they don’t get wet or chill. And you can monitor their food and water intake and that they are pooping normally.
We lost one. I was holding her when she died. Trying to get her to drink. It was awful. I'm pretty scarred and heart broken. The rest seem to be recovering well. They are eating now on their own, and drinking. Sleeping a lot still, but are much much better. I think the remaining 4 will pull through. I'll keep an eye on them obviously. I will not be letting them out until they are all better and it is not wet. Or too hot. 😔

No other symptoms that can pinpoint something specific.
Just that it's been super wet and rainy, they are so lethargic and just want to sleep, one had congestion but the others don't, they just....die. I have to hold up their heads for them to drink. They do not want to hold them up on their own. I'm scared of this happening again. Our food is fresh, we go through it so fast. Our chickens and chicks are not sick. We keep our brooder clean, and as dry as can be, and we switched to a small dog kennel inside so I can get to them easier than our big brooder. I've been brooding them inside. We clean their waterer. There is nothing for them to get into that they can't have.... We use old towels and stuff for their bedding, and we wash it and bleach it lightly every day. We do give them fermented feed, but it smells normal and the chicks and chickens eat it too. It's all flock.....
I can't think of anything else. It's so out of the blue. We got them from Murray Mcmurray hatchery, and to be honest Ollie (the first one to die) was a little bit funny looking. Almost malformed, but you can't really pinpoint how. He was always smaller. They were shipped on June 13th. We gave them a bath occasionally, in our tub so that they could clean themselves from head to toe. We also give them nutritional yeast and peas.

Limber neck is a sign of botulism. No mold anywhere in your home or around their area. Not implying you don't keep your home up, but mold could affect them and you. I am so sorry this is happening and it's so hard to figure out what it is so we can help.

Back
Top Bottom