Traumatized by dog, left with a wonky tail.

Hennyfromdblock

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
This past Sunday my neighbors dog got a hold of one of my girls. Luckily I work from home so I’m able to be present if anything happens throughout the day. They were all in their run but when they seen him running towards them they all ran and jumped back into their coop except for one. She was in such panic she actually flew up and over the coop into the yard where the dog was. I was able to catch him quickly but man was he strong, He’s only 6mo old but a german shepherd great pyrenees mix so he’s huge. Once my neighbor took him back I quickly looked for and checked her for any injury, luckily he only got a hold of her tail so now when she struts her stuff she’s modeling with 4 missing tail feathers 😅, but I believe it was enough to traumatize her. She didn’t want to eat or drink so I did my best to encourage her to and she did. She doesn’t want to go back with the others, she’ll just cry and cry and when I check out my window she’s just standing by the door pacing crying out. So I put her in a cage on the opposite side of the run next to the coop, she can see them they can see her, I covered it up so she can rest but the door is open so she can leave whenever she wants. Fast forward to today, she’s been sleeping in the cage, I bring it in at night when everyone goes in the coop. I set up some roosts for her and a nesting box. she’s basically the only one that has access to free range the whole back yard. (Neighbors got rid of the dog ☹️ ) She’s eating and drinking fine. She does come out during the day and will go up to the run, do a little dirt bath and come back, scratch here and there. I tried putting her back in and luckily nobody bullied her, but one of the Roos tried mating and she just wasn’t having it. I don’t want her to be stressing in there but also don’t want her separated to the point where I’ll have to do like a reintroduction. Any tips?

Here’s sweetie, it’s like trying to say no to a baby lol. She very much enjoys hammock swinging.
9E1D7583-46BE-4675-97AF-E226D421058C.jpeg

Glad she survived! You're likely dealing with only two issues here:
a) was she injured?
b) she's likely in shock.

Be sure to check her over completely, turning up feathers all over her body to be sure you're not missing some puncture and scrape wounds that could become infected creating a whole other set of issues. Clean any injuries with saline, pat excess moisture off, then apply an antibiotic cream like Neosporin. No bandage is usually necessary or recommended so that a wound can heal without trapping infection.

As for her shock, putting her in a warm, low-light, quiet place and giving her an electrolyte water will help her overcome the shock. Save-A-Chick brand makes a good powder to mix with water to create an Electrolyte solution. You can also find homemade recipes for Electrolytes on the web. Shock can take as little as a day to overcome, sometimes a few days.

During that time of recovery from shock, just make sure she's kept in a quiet place. You can approach and handle her, giving her gentle and soft reassuring words. She'll let you know when she's feeling better.

Good luck with that pretty girl! Let us know how she does!

Forgot to mention: where injuries are concerned, you'll want to dress them (clean, reapply antibiotic) at least once per day, better if it's done a couple of times per day since the bird will usually pick at the wound...

Also, something like this will find better traction in the "Emergencies, Injuries, Cures" forum than in Predators and Pests.

Glad she survived! You're likely dealing with only two issues here:
a) was she injured?
b) she's likely in shock.

Be sure to check her over completely, turning up feathers all over her body to be sure you're not missing some puncture and scrape wounds that could become infected creating a whole other set of issues. Clean any injuries with saline, pat excess moisture off, then apply an antibiotic cream like Neosporin. No bandage is usually necessary or recommended so that a wound can heal without trapping infection.

As for her shock, putting her in a warm, low-light, quiet place and giving her an electrolyte water will help her overcome the shock. Save-A-Chick brand makes a good powder to mix with water to create an Electrolyte solution. You can also find homemade recipes for Electrolytes on the web. Shock can take as little as a day to overcome, sometimes a few days.

During that time of recovery from shock, just make sure she's kept in a quiet place. You can approach and handle her, giving her gentle and soft reassuring words. She'll let you know when she's feeling better.

Good luck with that pretty girl! Let us know how she does!
Thank you! She’s always allowed us to carry and handle her, thankfully she still did after the attack. I made sure to check her thoroughly, up to this day I still do just to make sure, I myself feel traumatized so I check her when given the chance. I’ve read that Gatorade can be given to them for electrolytes so I gave her a bit, also gave her some extra treats as a little get well soon 😅.

She’s very chirpy and acts like herself, no longer trying to hide. Her normal strut is walking with her chest puffed up and head held high and she’s doing so. Only thing is she’s not wanting to go back with the rest. Since she’s been coming out willingly I decided to let the rest out for a bit in hopes that when they go back in she’ll follow. They don’t really like being out and about from their run so they don’t last more than 10minutes free ranging. Hopefully she’ll go back in soon 😊.

Forgot to mention: where injuries are concerned, you'll want to dress them (clean, reapply antibiotic) at least once per day, better if it's done a couple of times per day since the bird will usually pick at the wound...

Also, something like this will find better traction in the "Emergencies, Injuries, Cures" forum than in Predators and Pests.
Great thank you for the advice!

You have been given some good advice. The longer you leave her out the harder it will be to put her back with the flock as the pecking order will be changed and she will be at the bottom. Her feathers will grow back. I did not see where she was injured except for missing some tail feathers. Good luck... Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures

You have been given some good advice. The longer you leave her out the harder it will be to put her back with the flock as the pecking order will be changed and she will be at the bottom. Her feathers will grow back. I did not see where she was injured except for missing some tail feathers. Good luck... Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures
Thank you, it was something I was afraid of since I do have a bully chicken (She’s top of the pecking order but I call her a bully since she’s the heftiest one out of the whole flock😅) I decided to put her in the coop at night, she did get pecked at by the head honcho but this morning they were having a little dust bath together so looks like everything is back in it’s place. As for her tail it’s like it gave her a fashionable look, reminds me of cruella. She walks so proud like she’s saying to the rest “oh you still have all your tail feathers? Hmm, couldn’t be me😌

Something tore up my Easter egg, no tail left, a few mths. Ago. She is back to her bossy self. Let them work it out if eating and drinking ok. Back on the horse. Lol
You may have a possum problem, the younger ones will pull tail feathers out. I would set traps for a few nights and see what turns up. I am really glad your girl is okay.

Back
Top Bottom