Traumatized?

gmomfarms

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
SW Virginia
I have never started chicks in winter before, but bought a dozen 2 week old chicks in early December. When they were feathered, I put them in the empty, cleaned coop and left them inside for about a week and a half or two for them to become accustomed to "home." Of course once they were allowed out, it took a few days for them all to go back up the ramp to the coop at night. They enjoy outdoor time, but no free range time as they need to follow me back to the coop when the dogs are out and they won't yet. Then we had snow and very cold temperatures and they were locked inside for a few days. About two weeks ago, a hawk got one of the Java pullets so I enclosed the run with bird net for their safety and all seemed ok. Last Saturday, I found the hawk inside the bird net cover with another dead Java when I went out to lock up the pullets. I then put garden fencing over the run and built a garden fencing cover that allows me to get in the run and to the pop door. Very secure from overhead predators now, but the pullets won't leave the coop. If I run them out, they return immediately. I don't want to lock them out of the coop but even removing food and water from the coop to the outside won't lure them out and if run out, they eat, drink and return to the coop. Suggestions?

Last edited:
I have never started chicks in winter before, but bought a dozen 2 week old chicks in early December. When they were feathered, I put them in the empty, cleaned coop and left them inside for about a week and a half or two for them to become accustomed to "home." Of course once they were allowed out, it took a few days for them all to go back up the ramp to the coop at night. They enjoy outdoor time, but no free range time as they need to follow me back to the coop when the dogs are out and they won't yet. Then we had snow and very cold temperatures and they were locked inside for a few days. About two weeks ago, a hawk got one of the Java pullets so I enclosed the run with bird net for their safety and all seemed ok. Last Saturday, I found the hawk inside the bird net cover with another dead Java when I went out to lock up the pullets. I then put garden fencing over the run and built a garden fencing over that allows me to get in the run and to the pop door. Very secure from overhead predators now, but the pullets won't leave the coop. If I run them out, they return immediately. I don't want to lock them out of the coop but even removing food and water from the coop to the outside won't lure them out and if run out, they eat, drink and return to the coop. Suggestions?
Well, it sounds to me as if they have very good reasons for not coming out between your dogs, the hawk, the insecure run and then the snow. You wouldn't drag me out if I had to face that.
At least free range they would have a chance to run and hide; in a run if something gets in they're helpless.
They will come out in time.

Oof that's terrible :( my condolences my only hawk attack has been on a full grown bird while free ranging and trust me the hawk didn't win that fight 0×0!! If you have a larger, open run have you thought about planting trees and shrubs? Coverage can prevent hawk attacks as the birds will hide before the hawk can persue them. But id let them hide for atleast week to come to terms. Two attacks so young is sad but it's gonna teach them fast to pay attention, and chickens do get traumatized by loss of flockmates :( when we lost our first bird ever the girls sat on the step she'd been snatched from for 3 days straight in pouring rain :'( . after a week or so I'd shut them out of the coop for a few hours, sit down, and give them allllll their favorite treats to distract them and possibly throw in a 'alarm call' and fake panic once or twice. The birds will pick up you're warning them and in turn will learn to watch warn and run away fast while confident in being a step ahead cause you e taught them a warninging system rather than always scared of not knowing whats about.

Well, it sounds to me as if they have very good reasons for not coming out between your dogs, the hawk, the insecure run and then the snow. You wouldn't drag me out if I had to face that.
At least free range they would have a chance to run and hide; in a run if something gets in they're helpless.
They will come out in time.
I hope you weren't being critical. I live on a very open 30 acre hay farm. All of the local farmers have dogs that run loose, ours do not, they are controlled when outdoors, but I do have to lure the free range chickens in when I see certain dogs on our farm. There is very little cover for them to use so when the older hens free ranged, they tended to stay near the house and house shrubs which is fine, but they have to be willing to follow me back to security on occasion and the pullets won't (currently there are no older hens for them to model thus the run). One side of the chicken area is an orchard of young trees so not much cover, the other side is my fenced off organic garden. I am not a new chicken raiser and have had my share of predator loss over the years, but this is the first time I have had pullets that prefer the inside of the coop.

I hope you weren't being critical. I live on a very open 30 acre hay farm. All of the local farmers have dogs that run loose, ours do not, they are controlled when outdoors, but I do have to lure the free range chickens in when I see certain dogs on our farm. There is very little cover for them to use so when the older hens free ranged, they tended to stay near the house and house shrubs which is fine, but they have to be willing to follow me back to security on occasion and the pullets won't (currently there are no older hens for them to model thus the run). One side of the chicken area is an orchard of young trees so not much cover, the other side is my fenced off organic garden. I am not a new chicken raiser and have had my share of predator loss over the years, but this is the first time I have had pullets that prefer the inside of the coop.
The post you are referring to did not read as a critical comment, but rather an attempt to answer your question. The poster is very knowledgeable and a nice person. Simply stated, your pullets were traumatized by what they saw, and only feel secure in the coop. Give them time.

No I wasn't being critical.
I free range on a 12.5 acre smallholding. I to have lost more chickens than I care to dwell on.
I have also had pullets who have seen their flock mates taken by hawks. Here its the Goshawk.
I get loose hunting dogs here every week. Fortunately the dogs that live here are trained to not bother the chickens and they chase the stray hunting dogs away. They aren't great chicken guard dogs but they will keep other dogs off the property.
I've had to hunt for frightened pullets for many hours, often at dusk and at night to make sure they roost somewhere safe.
My elder hens won't come out of their coops some mornings if they heard the goshawk or another predator overnight.
However, I certainly wouldn't 'run out' frightened pullets. They will come out on their own.
It is a lot easier if they have adult chickens to follow and learn from I've found over the years.

Oof that's terrible :( my condolences my only hawk attack has been on a full grown bird while free ranging and trust me the hawk didn't win that fight 0×0!! If you have a larger, open run have you thought about planting trees and shrubs? Coverage can prevent hawk attacks as the birds will hide before the hawk can persue them. But id let them hide for atleast week to come to terms. Two attacks so young is sad but it's gonna teach them fast to pay attention, and chickens do get traumatized by loss of flockmates :( when we lost our first bird ever the girls sat on the step she'd been snatched from for 3 days straight in pouring rain :'( . after a week or so I'd shut them out of the coop for a few hours, sit down, and give them allllll their favorite treats to distract them and possibly throw in a 'alarm call' and fake panic once or twice. The birds will pick up you're warning them and in turn will learn to watch warn and run away fast while confident in being a step ahead cause you e taught them a warninging system rather than always scared of not knowing whats about.
Do you have an example, or two, of an alarm call? Thaks.

Back
Top Bottom