Travel Question

Georgia460

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2015
Georgia
Not sure where to post this. Have to make 3 hour trip to pick up my sister's hens. Am limited to back seat of my truck for 2 carriers - 32"L x 23"W x 29"H. How many standard size (approx. 7#) hens can I fit in each carrier? Thanks for your help.

Not sure where to post this. Have to make 3 hour trip to pick up my sister's hens. Am limited to back seat of my truck for 2 carriers - 32"L x 23"W x 29"H. How many standard size (approx. 7#) hens can I fit in each carrier? Thanks for your help.
Awful with sizes. Are these cat carriers? Or dog crates? Large cat carriers I would do at most 3 but some hens are aggressive to the point where I wouldn't confine any poor bird with them

Do you have any cardboard boxes? Any bird will be calm in the dark. They will think its bedtime. I'd say for safety reasons, the fewer birds in each container the better, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. Three hours won't kill them. I'd just cover their enclosures with something to block the light and ensure they are calm. I wouldn't put aggressive bird with another bird, if you know the chickens well enough to make that kind of judgement call.

They're dog carriers. I measured them for size to make sure they'd fit in my back seat. I'll be sure to cover them while still letting them breathe.
She has 15, am sure I can't take them all but am doing what I can as it is an emergency situation. My sister was diagnosed with brain cancer in May with a 3-6 month prognosis. She has gone downhill rapidly and I need to get them out of there. My brother (who hates chickens) has been taking care of them since he lives close by but he is getting tired since so much is on his shoulders (besides taking care of chickens).
Am going to post soon here on the forum whatever chickens I can't take (all hens) to see if anyone in South Carolina would want them. Not selling, just a good home. They're a couple years old.
Thanks for your replies.

They're dog carriers. I measured them for size to make sure they'd fit in my back seat. I'll be sure to cover them while still letting them breathe.
She has 15, am sure I can't take them all but am doing what I can as it is an emergency situation. My sister was diagnosed with brain cancer in May with a 3-6 month prognosis. She has gone downhill rapidly and I need to get them out of there. My brother (who hates chickens) has been taking care of them since he lives close by but he is getting tired since so much is on his shoulders (besides taking care of chickens).
Am going to post soon here on the forum whatever chickens I can't take (all hens) to see if anyone in South Carolina would want them. Not selling, just a good home. They're a couple years old.
Thanks for your replies.
Oh I am so sorry for your situation. Like I said, you have to do what you have to do and a tight space isn’t going to hurt them. I’m sorry your family is in this situation. I wish you the best of luck in finding them a new home.

So sorry to hear about this! See if you can find some shallow heavy dishes for a bit of water knowing they may stomp in it or tip it over. Definitely cover them with towels. If it's dark enough you can hope they'll sleep most of the way. If they all get along within the same flock you can probably get away with stuffing 3-4 in each carrier but they won't like it. The important thing is to have everything set up at your place with water and food, etc. before you puck them up so they can settle in after you get them there. Good luck and thank you for taking on her flock. I'm sure that's one less thing for her to worry over.

So sorry about your family's circumstances. I think for the crate size, 3, maybe 4 hens if they get along fairly well. As long as it's not hot I wouldn't worry about water for the trip, just make sure they can get water as soon as they arrive at your house.

Back
Top Bottom