Traveling with a Duck

How did the check-up go, HeatherKellyB?
I apologize for the delay in responding. I've tried to respond several times today but it's been so difficult. Thank you for asking. Honey was such a good girl for everything. The vet came back with some heartbreaking news that I wasn't expecting. I'm going to lose her. I've been treating her bumblefoot and it would get better and then return. I failed her. The vet said there are no options now. She wanted me to euthanize her yesterday but Honey has been steadily improving. My daughter (9 years old) was sobbing so hard and so much and begged me to not do this yesterday. Honey is here at home now with her flock. She's such an awesome duck

I apologize for the delay in responding. I've tried to respond several times today but it's been so difficult. Thank you for asking. Honey was such a good girl for everything. The vet came back with some heartbreaking news that I wasn't expecting. I'm going to lose her. I've been treating her bumblefoot and it would get better and then return. I failed her. The vet said there are no options now. She wanted me to euthanize her yesterday but Honey has been steadily improving. My daughter (9 years old) was sobbing so hard and so much and begged me to not do this yesterday. Honey is here at home now with her flock. She's such an awesome duck
Oh, I'm so sorry. No other options? That's the worst news. Do you think a second opinion might be useful?

Oh, I'm so sorry. No other options? That's the worst news. Do you think a second opinion might be useful?
The vet took an xray and said the bone in one of her digits was damaged. I asked about amputating the digit but she said that wasn't an option because the way Honey would walk after the amputation would cause her to form bumblefoot on her other foot and it'd be a never ending cycle. I asked her if there was anything that could be done and she said no. She didn't prescribe or encourage the use of antibiotics anymore and whenever I said that she'd end up succumbing to sepsis if I stopped the antibiotics now, she said yes. She prescribed 5 days worth of pain meds and said that I will be back with her soon, for euthanasia

Thank you all so much for sharing. The trip has went well so far. I'm sitting outside the vet's office right now, waiting for the vet to call. A tech came out and got Honey about 15 minutes ago. I'm super anxious but very impressed with the way Honey is dealing with everything
My duck used to get car sick. A duck vomiting is not pretty. I learned very quickly no food! Always water though...

Back
Top Bottom