Traveling with a Duck

I had one Runner with bumble and some of my LF hens. My Runner was on antibiotics for 7 days before I open the bumble enough to get the kernel out then she finished her meds. I do realize CB some bumbles can be a real bummer to treat but maybe we can help.
The vet said that Honey has suffered breakdown of the bone in one of her digits. After digging deeper into rx dosages, I just discovered that she can take more Baytril than what she's been getting. The vet wouldn't discuss antibiotics or anything. She was an avian vet. I have continued to give Honey Baytril, after the vet directed otherwise. Tonight she'll be getting a higher dosage, but not quite the highest (it's 100mg/1ml & directed 10-15mg/kg - She's been getting 0.31ml and will get 0.50ml tonight). We've been battling BF since Feb and it would clear up and then return, so it's been a chronic problem. I soak her foot in a warm epsom salt soak, spray with vetericyn, apply thick coat of triple antibiotic ointment and then bandage every 24 to 48 hours. I dig out the kernel once it's ready to come out and then pack the area with triple antibiotic ointment, and wrap.

I give the baytril every 12 hours. Friday night I found Honey unable to walk. I immediately started my regular BF routine and started 0.31ml Baytril. Honey has improved daily and is able to walk around although a tiny bit unsteady whenever she's preening her undercarriage. She eats and drinks like normal. I made the decision to see a vet because the BF has been a chronic problem. Friday - Wed I also gave 1ml vit B complex

She's well enough to race over for their nightly minnows and beats my Buff Duck every single time. We have to hold Honey back so my Buff Duck can get one or two. Certainly doesn't seem to act like she's on death's Door. If I stop the antibiotics, I'm sure she'll be septic in a matter of days

I hope I won't regret posting this (speaking too soon), but Honey seems to be back to her normal self today. I don't know how long she'll be like this or how much longer I'll even have her, but I'm going to enjoy her being her truly wonderful self. Watching her with her flock warms my heart.

@Isaac 0 i wanted to tag you for my reply above since we've spoken about Honey. Thank you for your time that you shared with me in my attempts to help her. I am cherishing every moment I have with her.

Also, I wanted to ask everyone about making Honey a shoe. Of course I need a lot of padding for her and I'll need to change it a few times a day. My problem is finding a firm/stiff/lightweight but soft material to use on the bottom of her foot. I tried Styrofoam most recently and it worked really well with helping to wrap her foot securely while keeping her foot flat but since it's not flexible and isn't able to curve around the back of her ankle, it worked itself free in no time. I've been wrapping her foot but her foot doesn't lay flat after being wrapped with the self adhering vet wrap. Thank you for any thoughts, tips, tricks, suggestions. Honey and I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom