Tre3hugger's Rabbit Thread

https://thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-genetics/rabbit-color-genotypes-chart/

This chart is a great way to figure out the basics. It dosent handle the broken gene or the breed specific ones, but it gives you a good basis to learn and work off from.
Your Maple should be aa B_ C_ D_ ee
My tortie is aa B_ Cchd Dd ee.
An A means agouti normally expressed as ticking on back with lighter solid belly. The little a means self or solid,
B means black based, b means brown based .
C is chestnut, and a whole list of variants, chd is what I use for Chinchilla, it also handles Himalyin and REW which reads as cc.
D is for dense color, d is for dilute(blues)
And the Es are for the extension gene, full extension is E, non extension is e. Its what causes the dark belly and coppery top color in your Maple.

I had quite a lot of fun charting the genetics out on a basement floor in chalk. Kind of like a cheat sheet with the genetic code writen out with the color name and how it related back to Chestnut,(wild type)
And then, after the charting, I would have had to take a picture, to remember what I thought!

I have actually taken screen shots of my spreadsheet calculations, just because it's so (too!) easy to change!

Tried Hops and Crewella (Amchins) again tonight. Brought them outside to a little playpen I made out of chicken wire. Thought the grass and sunshine might put her in the mood. It kind of worked, as she was humping him quite a bit, but still no successful mating for those two. I out her back in his cage, and him in hers. I will try them again on the grass in the morning!

Even though it was a "fail" it was a delight seeing them bunny around in the grass. Very cute. I gave them a good once over for ticks before returning to their cages. They seemed to enjoy themselves.

Hops on the left, cruella on the right

View attachment 2582550
Have you had any luck with these two yet? They look like they are in really good shape.

Maybe have that pretty little Maple show Crewella how it's done. :bun

Have you had any luck with these two yet? They look like they are in really good shape.

Maybe have that pretty little Maple show Crewella how it's done. :bun
No Luck with Crewella yet (amchin). Maple seems to be putting on some weight though and acting moody. I am going to palpate her tomorrow and see if I can feel some babies.

It has been really cold all week but has finally warmed up. Tomorrow I am going to take Crewella for a drive, see if I can't get her in the mood. :)

Took Crewella for a ride today. Still no luck breeding. She is turning out to be quite a little prude!

My wife has already decided she would like to keep her as a pet/garden bunny so if I can't get her bred in the next monthish, I will start looking for another Amchin doe.

Good news. Finally got Crewella to mate! She turned 1 year old on 4/4 and I was starting to lose hope for her. Today I set her and Hops loose in a 200 gallon garden bag I have that is full of soil. It is round and elevated. They did chasies for like 15 minutes and then it clicked! He fell off and squeaked and they cuddled for a little. Now both my buns are pregnant. Woohoo! I will snap some pics tomorrow. A week from today Maple gets her nest box! :bun

Good news. Finally got Crewella to mate! She turned 1 year old on 4/4 and I was starting to lose hope for her. Today I set her and Hops loose in a 200 gallon garden bag I have that is full of soil. It is round and elevated. They did chasies for like 15 minutes and then it clicked! He fell off and squeaked and they cuddled for a little. Now both my buns are pregnant. Woohoo! I will snap some pics tomorrow. A week from today Maple gets her nest box! :bun
Yea! You will have little popples soon.

Back
Top Bottom